Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2007
BS.Player Newbie

ocnos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cpu 99% divx multiple audio tracks

hi,

I have a problem only with BSPlayer. When playing dual films (divx shows the notification window saying "this file has multiple audio tracks") BSPLayer crashes when trying to close. The computer hangs, CPU usage turns to 99%, and it's difficult to kill the process.

I have tried different BSPlayer versions (currently 2.21.950) and this problem doesn't happen with VLC or DivXPlayer. I have tried disabling every software (antivirus, antyspyware) and uninstalling all audio codecs, but the problem remains. I think new divx version 6.6 could be involved, as this didn't happen before.

Please help!
Old 13th June 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Could you try if rolling back to e.g. DivX5.2.1 solves your problem?

(There is a link in the second paragraph of item (4) of my Help2Help-post.)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Newbie

in fact, downgrading to 5.2 version of divx solves the problem.

question is, shouldn't be this problem addessed as a BSPlayer bug? I find it annoying having to choose between moving to zoomplayer or using BSPlayer but getting stuck in divx 5.2 version.

thanks
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Master

As a BS.Player-user I don't know what the added advantage is of using Div6.x decoder as opposed to trusted DivX5.2.1 decoder. For which added features are you actually using version 6.x?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Added features are:
interactive menus, chapters, multiple subtitles and audio tracks

All of these features can be achieved with DivX 5 encoded movie and other files, one per type (exception made for menus)
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Master

As a BS.Player user, using DivX5.2.1 as a decoder (apart from some trials, I never upgraded; I didn't see the reason why and also ... if it ain't broke don't fix it.) I can also have multiple subtitles and audio streams. So what is the added value for me to use DivX6.x instead? E.g. what do these interactive menues have to offer me (and do they work with BS.Player)?
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Thanks Peter. Do you mean that Divx 6.6 doesn't improve the decoding quality, or the CPU usage? So I could stay with 5.2.1?

I am no expert in image and I get a little overwhelmed when trying to get the best quality. For example, FFDSHOW seemed to work worse that DivX, even setting the properties as explained in this tutorial [1]. I also don't know if XVid works better than DivX for XVid files, and if so, if I should change some XVid configuration (postprocessing, ...).

Do you have some sort of tutorial or advice for getting the best for BSPLayer?

Thanks again.

[1] http://www.htpcdigest.com/miscellane...-tutorial.html
Old 16th June 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not read reports stating that libavcodec (ffdshow) would produce incompliant output when fed with MPEG-4 ASP (divx, xvid) video.

Post processing is a generic filter for any video which, when configured properly, might be able subjectively increase the perceived quality at a cost of CPU time. But if your videos don't have enough bitrate, then in fact no processing can recreate the lost information. Solid state memory has become cheap enough to store DVD quality video and not rely on these tricks. Ffdshow has lots of postprocessing options which can be tweaked to your liking, because it is made also as a video processor, not decoder.

I am using ffdshow myself and the only disadvantage I see is its large size, if you compare to less than 512 kB for a bare xvid decoder. The DivX 6 installation of course is much bigger. Ffdshow will perform faster than Xvid.

Most MPEG-4 files on the Internet have bitrate low enough, so that it is impossible to notice differences in the output of various decoders.

Tags
99%, audio, cpu, divx, multiple