Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Subtitles

Subtitles Post question about BS.Player and subtitles (srt sub ssa mkv) here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Opara is on a distinguished road
Talking Pasting subs??? Edit mystery/problem [SOLVED]

I have translated a bunch of subtitles in my time, every time I did this was that I downloaded subs in English and then just translated them in notepad and saved as filename: "movie.srt".
Worked every time.

Now I translated one documentary and when I play the video with subtitle in that folder bsplayer get's an error message "error occured in application".
The video plays fine without subtitle and all other videos play fine with subtitles.

When I play the subtitle before I translate it, it plays fine. I don't know does it have to do something with the captions, but all the other subs with captions work fine for me.

I don't know what's wrong, help???
Old 5th February 2010
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

If the original sub is playing without problems, there must be an error of some sort in the translated file.
Can you upload/attach that sub (or a sample of it) so that we can test.
It is text-based (.srt) so the file size will be fairly limited.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
Can you upload/attach that sub (or a sample of it) so that we can test.
I tried to upload subtitles to this forum but I keep getting "invalid file" error message.

Pic don't help but here they are:

English

Translated
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Master

Can't you upload the offensive file as a .zip-file?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Oh, I thought I can upload a .rar file but it seems I can't.

Here it is:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Subtitles.zip (60.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Master

I've meanwhile tested your files.
The translated file did not cause an error in BS.Player, but it simply wasn't recognized as a subtitle-file.
I've looked a bit better and then I saw (what I could and should have also seen from the images posted by you earlier) that, whereas a correct srt file uses --> as "separator" to indicate the time that a sub-line should be displayed ...
Code:
00:01:39,619 --> 00:02:40,950
display this sub-line from ... to ...

00:02:46,359 --> 00:02:48,850
and show this sub-line from ... to ...
... your translated file has -> (a single hyphen instead of two).
When I simply generally replaced "->" by "-->" using Notepad and tried the translated file again, it was shown without any problem!!

(Sometimes a solution is so simple and it really is "staring you in the face",
but nevertheless you simply don't see it, like I also didn't see it at first. )
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Thank you!!! You saved me a lot of time.

I don't know why it changed that when I didn't touch that at all.

Anyway do you know why does it now show me the number of the next subtitle line when there's only one line shown?

It dosen't show it when there's two lines shown.

Two lines = correct

One line = incorrect

Thnx in advance!
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Master

No such problem here.
Same problem for every one-line sub? (There are a lot of them)
If you open in notepad nothing strange to be seen?
What build of BS.Player are you using?
Old 6th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

BSplayer Pro 2.27

but again, when I load english sub it dosen't do that, only with the translated one.

It must be that something changed just like on the previous problem, but I can't see anything different.
Something is causing BSplayer to read the line number as a subtitle line when there is only one line to be shown but I don't know why when there is blank line separating the subtitle from the next line number...

If I enter another enter (two blank lines separating them) then it dosen't show it, why?

I don't want to go manually putting enters in between every subtitle line...
Old 7th February 2010
BS.Player Master

Did you indeed use notepad or maybe wordpad (or another text-editor)?
(notepad is safest to get real plain text output.)
Old 7th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Did you indeed use notepad or maybe wordpad (or another text-editor)?
(notepad is safest to get real plain text output.)
Yup, definitely notepad.
Old 8th February 2010
BS.Player Master

Can you post the offending file again (zipped)?
Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Here it is:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Steep.zip (25.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Master

Found the culprit: creepy Space Invaders !!
Somehow in your version of Notepad a space was inserted following the line-numbers and before [CR/LF] (or 'newline'). In the English original these spaces were not there. In the image below you will see what I mean. Left is with the spaces (which should not be there); Right is without spaces (like the English original), which is shown as expected. (Note: in fact a space was/is inserted before virtually every 'newline-code' not only those of the linenumbers.)

That being said ...
... if you select "Use new subtitle parser/renderer" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties]
you will see those (extra) spaces don't influence a correct display of subtitles.

However when you don't use this "new" option, then the "old subs-engine" apparently supposes it has to show (its max) three lines, the second being an empty line and the third being the line-number (if followed by a space before the [Enter]).

P.S.:
While testing it appeared to me that whereas the old subtitle-engine allowed a maximum of 3 lines (which IMHO is more than sufficient for normal subtitles), the new subtitle engine can almost just as well be used as a kind of telecue or teleprompter (provided the number of lines does not cause the top lines to be displayed over a black upper border -if present- (where the picture isn't refreshed)).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpaceInvaders.jpg (88.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
That being said ...
... if you select "Use new subtitle parser/renderer" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties]
you will see those (extra) spaces don't influence a correct display of subtitles.
Sorry for being a pain but I don't have that option in preferences/subtitles in my version.

This is what I have:

Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Master

New subtitle parser/renderer was introduced with version 2.41.1003.
Most recent changes in new subs-engine were done in version 2.50.1016
Most recent versions at this moment are 2.51.1022 resp. 2.52.1023beta.
I don't know when your Pro-licence expires/expired, but you can easily find out by logging into your user area.
You can always download upto the latest Pro version within your licence-period.
And most recent Free version can be downloaded by everybody of course.

By the way: if you're using Pro-version, why aren't you using BS.Player-Pro's in-built subtitle editor in stead of notepad?
Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
New subtitle parser/renderer was introduced with version 2.41.1003.
Most recent changes in new subs-engine were done in version 2.50.1016
Most recent versions at this moment are 2.51.1022 resp. 2.52.1023beta.
I don't know when your Pro-licence expires/expired, but you can easily find out by logging into your user area.
You can always download upto the latest Pro version within your licence-period.
And most recent Free version can be downloaded by everybody of course.

By the way: if you're using Pro-version, why aren't you using BS.Player-Pro's in-built subtitle editor in stead of notepad?
Didn't know any of that!!!
Ill download the latest version and try the BSPlayer subtitle editor.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Old 9th February 2010
BS.Player Master

Subtitle editor in BS.Player Pro 227 (with your faulty "spacey" subfile)
(Happened to have your version still installed on my PC)

Tags
pasting, subs