View Single Post
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Newbie

MaxHill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dsound vs waveout regarding problem with 48kHz on ISA cards

Please it would be really handy to make in BS ability to choose output mixer either dsound or waveout due to the problem described below, thanks a lot.

Problem:

Well this is not a bug of BSPlayer but rather of DirectX (it occurs also in WM Player because it also uses directsound) but I couldn't find anything about it (DirectX) on the Web.

The thing is that when I playback any 48kHz audio Mp3 or Ac3 (DD) I mean mainly as a part of the movies then the sound on a ISA card (in my case SB16PnP) is noisy with static (better description maybe distorted) and this really pisses me of.

I found a few things about it:

Reagarding Mp3 files when I set output frequency in the filter to half (playing 24kHz) (which cannot be done anymore in the 1.?? version of BS by the way because filter properties are inaccesible) the sound is perfect.
Bad thing is that this cannot be done with Ac3 filter.

And I found the source of this problem using WinAmp when I play 48kHz using directsound output the sound is as bad as before (playing at 48kHz) but if I use waveout as output the sound is perfect.

So this must must be DirecX issue that I was unable to solve.

Selecting "Output device" under "Audio" in "Options"/"Preferences" doesn't help dsound is crappy and the other (non dsound) is playing at half speed (Ac3).

I will also put this in "Bug reports" to be sure.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20