View Single Post
Old 15th February 2004
BS.Player Newbie

hdc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have exactly the same problem as the original poster... With BSPlayer 804, if I check "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface", I can't move the subtitles. The OSD of BSPlayer says that the subtitle offset has been changed, but the subtile doesn't move at all. If "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" is not checked, I can move them, everything is fine, just then I don't see the subtitles on the TV. Why? I have Matrox Millenium G550 video card, which has a so called "DVD-max" mode, that shows only the overlay block on the 2nd dispaly, stretched to full screen. Unfortunatelly, viewing movie on full screen and use the "clone-display" mode is not good for this video card, since it has a hardware limitation that the cloned (2nd) display doesn't show the overlay, so then I see the subtitles only... (Anyway, with cloned display you couldn't work on the computer while somebody else watches the movie on the TV...)

I tried to play with "Borderless play window" and "Overlay mode 2"... no result. (What's "Overlay mode 2" meant to be anyway?)

BTW, I'm sure many user would love if BSPlayer had a button that switch the player between computer-monitor and TV mode. Lot of things has to be changed when you watch the movie on TV instead of computer monitor:
- Subtitle fonts must be much larger. Most TV screens are blured compated to computer monitors.
- Subtitles should be shown in the black strip below the video picture (most film uses 16:9 aspect ratio, and the TV is 4:3, so there is a unused black space there...). This is important, because the font size is increased, so the subtitle height can be really to big compared to the video picture height.
- For video cards like Matrox G550, the subtitles must be drawn to the overlay surface, since only the overlay block is shown on the 2nd display.
- For PAL TV-s, 24 f/s films must be played at 25 f/s (with simply increasing playback speed with ~4%), or else the playback will be jagged.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20