View Single Post
Old 18th April 2006
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoto
whats the thing with VLC?
It doesn't do any processing of the decoded data by default. VLC uses the same free libraries as ffdshow.

Quote:
One important thing I've noted is, using Bsplayer I get the divx aplication executed in the background, unlike using VLC. Maybe that app is causing the problems I have with the others players.
If your comp is slow compared to the content you are going to play, I recommend installing ffdshow video decoder for MPEG-4 (DivX, XviD, H264) and Elecard MPEG2 Decoder for MPEG-2 (DVD) playback. Prior to that you must uninstall any DivXNetworks software. You may keep XviD codec (if you do have one) in case you want to compress something. If you decide to install ffdshow, you must enable the video and audio formats you want to decode and leave others (like Mp3) unchecked, and also disable any post-processing. ffdshow can be re-configured later using Start menu shortcuts or the property sheet of this filter.

The background application might be a harmless tray icon, but may also be doing some redundant demuxing, dunno: Check CPU usage in a task manager.

FFDShow has no drawbacks compared to latest DivX software. Even distributive size (dxn = 15 MB) and mem usage is better.

Quote:
How many bitrate do you think my system support for playing HD Ok?
This also depends on the format, decoder used and the interface to call that decoder. MPEG-2 requires more computing power than MPEG-4 ASP (DivX, XviD) and H264 needs even more. Old DIV3 decoder was slower compared to ffdshow. Bad combination of OS, video drivers can result in very slow VirtualDub(Mod) interaction with normal VFW codecs...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20