View Single Post
Old 26th April 2008
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

I almost never used buffering on my old desktop pc (I only had 256MB of RAM), but with my laptop and 2GB of RAM I set the buffer to 300MB (25%) and I never had a problem with this setting (only a little pause of a second at the start of the movie, just the time to initialize the buffer)
This way the DVD/HDD drive is used really rarely, seeking times are nullified and the battery (when not connected to the network) is grateful ;)

Maybe you have interruptions because the buffer needs to be filled every few seconds of playback since 6MB is almost 1% of the total length of the file (if you have a 700MB video file) and if the total time length is about 100 minutes, it means that every less-than-a-minute your buffer need to be filled and the playback doesn't start until it's filled at at least the 25%. So if the transfer rate (from drive to ram) is low you have interruptions every now and then..
By rising the playback priority and lowering the buffer priority should help in you case, but if you have at lest 1GB of RAM I suggest you to rise the buffer capacity

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20