View Single Post
Old 10th August 2008
BS.Player Power User

kimiraikkonen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7N
MPEG-4 and WMV have much fewer keyframes than MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and higher complexity, so seeking is harder. The Group of Pictures (interval between keyframes) in MPEG-2 is at most 18 frames, while in next-gen formats, including commercial Blu-rays, the interval is usually between 100 and 250 frames.

Nevertheless the system should be able to resync quickly after seeking. If it does not, then it's not operating properly. It takes 4-8 seconds to jump in Blu-ray streams on my computer, but still playback resumes normally.

I can seek allright with this combination:
- Haali Media Splitter, 2007-06-03
- ffdshow beta4
- AC3Filter v1.01a
- BSPlayer 1.36 (occasionally crashes if there are subtitles)

I've found that the later versions of AC3Filter perform poorly during seeking (sound goes on and repeats a small buffer until video catches up).
Seeking MPEG files are much more slower and harder than DivX or Xvid or MP4, even from harddrive instead of CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. (Seeking a MPEG file excessively stresses an optical drive, a VCD(MPEG1) or a DVD(MPEG2) or a single MPEG file) and i was said by someone that MPEG files have few keyframes which makes seeking longer and harder.

And Yes, if seeking was unstable for some reason resulting with frame drop or jitters, the video tries to re-sync to establish a smooth playback.

And sometimes, without pointing a specific format, if you directly seek a through video, the video can be out of sync just for a few seconds, then smooth playback is re-established if you wait with a little patience in Bsplayer. (I have version 1.41 build 832)

A kind of sudden acceleration of a car to catch another car in front of it.

So, is it a natural thing or unexpected? That's why i decided to ask to worry or not.

Thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20