View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2008
BS.player Regular User

kulakov is an unknown quantity at this point

My Windows OS can handle French diacritics correctly, but it does it using Unicode, because it cannot present the characters using installed languages. Explorer handles the files fine, and so does WMP - it plays all the files. I think it's about Unicode filenames support. If a filename has an advanced character in it, and the character is of the same second language installed on the system, all programs handle the filename correctly because Windows maps the character onto the 2nd language thus its code remains within 256. Otherwise, it cannot present the name using the installed languages so the only way to present it is Unicode.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the technical details regarding handling Unicode filenames, and I don't want to install C++Builder to just test that right now. I think some programs deal with filenames as is so they may have problems with filenames like that, while some do have Unicode filenames support and they handle all files correctly no matter what languages installed. Whether you should "upgrade" BSPlayer to understand Unicode filenames - is a subtle question because this problem is not wide spread as I see.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20