View Single Post
Old 8th February 2010
BS.player Regular User

Arioch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the suggestion, but that is not really an option for me. The drivers that comes with the fresh install of windows 7, as well as the drivers from windows update are far from optimal performance wise. One of the first things I tried was to do a fresh install of windows, install only BSPlayer, allow it to install the codecs it want to download locally, and then play videos that way. The stuttering was unbelievable. Installing the nvidia drivers actually helped quite a lot, but did not completely solve the problem.

It is most definetly a timing issue. If I hook up my old CRT display that is capable of doing 72Hz (23.976x3=71), the telecine gets a better 1:3 ratio instead of the 3:2:2 that is used when running at 60Hz (which is what my TFT displays use).

The weird thing is that it happens _only_ with BSPlayer. So I am beginning to suspect it has something to do with how BSPlayer uses EVR for Windows 7.

Same rig with Windows Vista or Windows XP, and there is no problem. On Vista I use EVR and have no problem. Which is strange, since it is the same display drivers, same file, same codecs, same BSPlayer, and a fresh install of Windows Vista. On Windows XP it uses overlay and as such there is no problem at all. Cant use EVR on XP.

Disabling Aero and using overlay drops the frequency of the stuttering to about 1/3 on Windows 7. Still there is no way to cure it.

I have even tried to eliminate codecs as part of the equation and used nvidia purevideo to decode the video. Which leaves only one factor remaining; the combination of BSPlayer and Windows 7.

Windows media player + purevideo to decode on a fresh install of windows 7, is as smooth as ever when playing back the video.
I just cant stand that media player since it lacks so many features I have become accustomed to from using BSplayer (multiple instances, skipping back and forth, remembering last played position etc.).

If only BSPlayer could do native framerate interpolation to double or three times the frame rate, we would have silksmooth playback. The stuttering only occurs in pan and scan scenes with 23.976 framerate. Which is why I am fairly certain at this point that it is a timing issue that comes from how BSPlayer uses EVR (which of course brings it back to display drivers in the end to render it all).

Using Reclock solves the stuttering. But then I can only playback one video with audio (multiple instances not supported) at the same time. And I need to be able to play multiple clips at once when I work with video, in order to do comparisons.

Any further suggestions? I have been trying so many solutions that I may have overlooked something obvious. They are very much appreciated.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20