View Single Post
Old 16th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Boxster is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Frame stepping issue... not working as I'd like it to...

Hey everyone,

To start: I am working on a medical research project that requires me to analyze recorded videos frame-by-frame for scoring. Windows media player is apparently not capable of this feature so I hit the "interwebs". Someone in a forum suggested BS Player so I figured I would give it a shot.

I downloaded the latest BS Player, v2.57.

Initially, the arrow keys would jump seconds... not frame by frame. Looked on google and saw that what I want to be a able to do is called "frame stepping".

Searched again and saw how to allow this in BS Player: Disable seek by key frames (in general settings) and select "internal render DirectDraw surface" (in video rendering options).

Great! Now I can do "frame stepping"!

THE ISSUE:

I open a video and immediately hit pause. Using the arrow keys I am able to seek and move frame by frame, BUT about 19-22 seconds in, it wont advance any further. I have played with the setting and can't seem to resolve this.

If I unpause the video, it returns to where I had hit pause. The only way I am able to use this is if I seek to about 18 seconds (otherwise it will skip frames if too exact) and then hit pause again and then I can frame step for another 20 seconds or so. It's very annoying to have to do this. Can't I go frame by frame without it needing to keep the original frame as a returning point? I don't need to return to where I paused.

Is it a buffer issue? Is there a limit to frame stepping? Are my settings off?

I need to have the results for the videos by Monday and there are A LOT of videos. Any help is HUGELY appreciated.

I've spent the last several hours trying to resolve this... nothing was found in doing searches

Video File Info:

File: _______________.mpg
Size: 355734 KB (347 MB) <-Average
Length: 00:05:00
Demuxer: mpegps

Video Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect ratio: 1.7778
Format: 0x10000002
Bitrate: 9000 kbps
Frames per second: 29.970
Selected codec: ffmpeg2

Initial Audio Stream Format: 8192
Bitrate: 448 kbps
Rate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Selected codec: ffac3

Some Tech Specs:

-Using BS Player v2.57

-ASUS M50VM series
-Windows 7 64bit
-Intel Core2Duo T9400
-nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
-4GB RAM

Note: I tried to do this with the same settings on other computers with different OS versions and all had the same exact issue.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20