View Single Post
Old 14th June 2003
BS.Player Power User

bluedan is an unknown quantity at this point

m3n... whatever the name, don't blame the player if you're unable to watch a movie. I suppose you got it from the net, otherwise you had known the codec you used. Formatwise I assume it's an AVI which is only a container format: video stream can have different (MPG)code.
As said before, the movie is only a chunk/truncated and important meta data is missing or you really need a certain codec.
I also dislike those codec packs, they often cause trouble.
A simple (and my favorite) solution is to install a filter that's very comfortabel and powerful: ffdshow. It decodes most most of your videos (MPEG4 like XVID or DIVX, or MPG1 and 2) and has many other options to provide better image quality.
Another option is to use gspot (v2.2 ATM). It analyses your stream and tells you if the needed codecs are installed. If it fails to do so, then your AVI might be corrupted or a chunk. Try to reopen it in VirtualDub if you like and fix it.
If you don't know VirtualDub I won't explain it here. If you dare search the web for details or have a look at www.doom9.net the one and only video coding related site in the world, really!
BTW, bsplayer normally displays the codec used in the video stream when showing those error messages, which means that the codec is on your machine but the movie is broken.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20