View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Berg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Playing "incomplete" MPEG files

Hello everyone,

First, let me say that I have been using BSPlayer for two or three days now and I am impressed. I heard about it from the crew at Call for Help or The Screen Savers (not sure which). It could benefit from a little more information on its use, but hey, it is a feature rich program in beta, so I really can't complain.

Now for my feature request -

One of my uses of BSPlayer is to view program recorded using the SnapStream PVS application, a computer based TiVo like software package, that uses a Hauppauge PVR250 tuner hardware MPEG encoding card.

One of the recent features added to SnapStream PVS is the ability to start viewing/playing a file that PVS has started recording but is still in the process of recording. For example when you want to start watching a one-hour show 20 minutes after it started recording.

I don't know too much about MPEG files, but I know that the header info is still no included in the MPEG file. The folks at SnapStream have tricked their player to ignore the playing information and start playing the file even if it not "perfect". I can do the same with the player in the XBox Media Player on my moded XBox.

Unfortunately, BSPlayer is well mannered. It refuses to play the file, giving an error message saying the file is not supported.

Would it be possible to make BSPlayer a little more forgiving ?

Thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20