Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   Stating a movie when network connection is off (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/2887-stating-movie-when-network-connection-off.html)

choock 31st October 2003 06:29 PM

Stating a movie when network connection is off

I was always thinking, that starting a movie when my network is down (either internet connection or local LAN) freezes BSPlayer...

However now I found out, that the BSPlayer is not frozen, but there is actually a 90 seconds timeout of some sort (obviously it is trying to connect to some external server, dunno why & don't like any secret connection from my system) -> no other application does that (tried with Windows Media Player 6.4, DivX Player 2.5, Quicktime 6).

It could be related to codecs (I have DivX Pro 5.1 adware version), but then BSPlayer would have to use the codecs in different way that the abovementioned appz... (it does however, as some settings are not used under BSPlayer or other appz).

Even if it is not a bug, I would like BSPlayer to not connect anywhere unless I approve (I could at least cancel the connection instead of waiting for annoying timeout)

Regards,
choock

adicoto 31st October 2003 08:26 PM

Do you have Winlirc activated (preferencies, general tab, don't use winlirc) ?

choock 31st October 2003 08:33 PM

don't use winlirc is checked
however winlirc is defined as localhost:port, so I suppose as long as my local LAN works, it also should... not working connection to internet should not mess with it (?)

Quietseb 31st October 2003 09:31 PM

was the last location you played a movie from on your network ?

if the last movie I played was on the network and I'm now disconnected, when I want to load a movie there is a delay opening the 'open' dialog box, but nothing like 90 seconds :?

have you tried tracking what it may be trying to connect to ?

choock 1st November 2003 12:45 AM

movies are my harddisc - it is even codec independent (does not matter if it is adware DivX o free Xvid...) - however some basic connection to internet is all what it needs (no problems, when I can ping and everything else (proxy) is down)

as for tracking: No tracking done yet as I do not have installed any software to do it - any recommendations welcome. (And I found out that it is just a timeout only yesterday, when I started a movie and had full hands until it started - otherwise I always stopped the "not responding" BSPlayer :( ).

Quietseb 1st November 2003 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choock
as for tracking: No tracking done yet as I do not have installed any software to do it - any recommendations welcome.

a simple netstat will tell you every connection currently attempted/established but it won't tell you exactly which application started the connection (just type netstat -n in a command window [the -n tells netstat not to resolve the IP addresses => faster display; reverse DNS lookup for several IPs can take a while])

otherwise I suppose any firewall (e.g. zonealarm) would tell you what connection is attempted by which software [though I can't really remember, I've not used a software firewall for ages] or possibly ethereal but it may be a bit tricky [again I don't remeber what it allows one to do]