Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   Scrambled subtitles in overlay mode + more issues in RC1 (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/3633-scrambled-subtitles-overlay-mode-more-issues-rc1.html)

ironcode 4th January 2004 01:40 AM

Scrambled subtitles in overlay mode + more issues in RC1

When using overlay mode 1 (subtitles do not work in mode 2) and the "Draw subtitles to Overlay sufrace" option, on some movies the subtitles come out scrambled. However, on other movies, they come out OK. I suppose this has something to do with the horizontal video resolution of the movie - it seems to be working for all movies having a horizontal resolution that is multiple of 64, and not to be working on any other movies. Here is what I have tried:

Non-working:
672x272 @ 23.976
592x256 @ 23.976
592x240 @ 23.976
480x272 @ 25
352x288 @ 25 (several different clips)
352x240 @ 29.97

Working:
640x480 @ 29.97
640x272 @ 23.976
640x272 @ 23.983
640x272 @ 25
576x416 @ 29.97 (several different clips)
512x384 @ 23.976 (several different clips)
512x384 @ 29.97

I hope this is not a problem to fix, because my current workaround is not to use subtitles embedded in the overlay, which makes it a little harder (and uglier) to get them out on the TV.

Also, it would be really nice if changing subtitles' position could work in overlay mode (especially if placement in the black area is allowed). Automatic subtitle resize also doesn't work when using subtitles drawn to the overlay area.

Have a nice day!

BSPeter 4th January 2004 02:12 AM

Are you sure you're using BSPlayer's native features to display subtitles or do you have VobSub or something similar installed?
(Do you need to use overlay mode?)
http://members.home.nl/van.raak/wink.gif

ironcode 4th January 2004 03:38 PM

Yes, I am using BSPlayer's native features. I do not have any additional tools installed.

As to my need for subtitles drawn to the overlay area - I use the overlay settings of my videocard to get the overlay directly to the TV, so the only option to get the subtitles on the TV is to have them embedded in the overlay image. Another way to proceed would be to use the TV as a secondary display and get the movie running on it, but this doesn't look as good as the other mode. The "draw subtitles to the overlay area" feature would be very useful if it worked properly :-)

ironcode 4th January 2004 04:08 PM

P.S.

2 Attachment(s)
By the way, if I tell BSPlayer to draw the OSD text to the overlay area as well, it also comes out scrambled, so the problem is obviously in BSPlayer itself.

I am also attaching two captures - one scrambled and one working, so you can see what it's all about.

Ikkezelluf 4th January 2004 04:48 PM

Samen Problem

I also had these problems. I've tried bsplayer 0.8. Problem is gone!!

Grtx
Wim

petik3 4th January 2004 07:35 PM

I'm having the same problem with RC1:
Some subtitles works, others not, when i try to display subs on overlay.
There's something about Disabling YV12, because when i deselect that option in preferences, all of the subs are displayed correctly on overlay.

I experienced this problem on different configs too, so it seems that its kind of general problem.

ironcode 4th January 2004 09:45 PM

It seems that "Disable YV12" is turned on by default. Toggling this option has no effect on the issue.

Before RC1, I had BSPlayer 0.86.496, but on that build the player crashed when trying to display the overlayed subtitles. RC1 at least displays something ;-)

chagostyle 5th January 2004 02:57 AM

Any official reply to this bug, or a working fix suggested?

Thanks!

Ikkezelluf 6th January 2004 02:51 PM

Use overlay mode 2

Got to Prefereces -> Video -> choose "use overlay mode 2 (overlay mixer)" Problem is gone..............

Grtx
Wim

chagostyle 6th January 2004 04:11 PM

That option won´t show show the subtitles in the television.

ironcode 7th January 2004 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagostyle
That option won´t show show the subtitles in the television.

I agree. I also can't get subtitles in Overlay mode 2. A working overlay mode 1 is the answer ;-) We shall wait for RC2...

BSPeter 7th January 2004 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcode
As to my need for subtitles drawn to the overlay area - I use the overlay settings of my videocard to get the overlay directly to the TV, so the only option to get the subtitles on the TV is to have them embedded in the overlay image.

The reason why I asked is that I don't need overlay to accomplish just that what you want (via clone-mode).
See this thread.
:wink:

crick 7th January 2004 11:48 PM

subtitles in overlay mode

Clone mode sucks since you have to have the same resolution on the monitor and the tv.

BSPeter 8th January 2004 01:00 AM

@crick: you're entitled to have an opinion (and that's just what it is; nothing more and nothing less)
:wink:

Tiao Macaleh 21st January 2004 09:05 PM

Thx now i can get it dysplayed but the problem is i CANT move it now!!! is there any way to move it??? its being dyplsyed in the midle of the film :(

anyway to move it?

ironcode 3rd February 2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiao Macaleh
Thx now i can get it dysplayed but the problem is i CANT move it now!!! is there any way to move it??? its being dyplsyed in the midle of the film :(

anyway to move it?

Probably a solution (for the authors) would be to draw the subtitles AFTER the movie is resized and displayed (I don't know if this is possible, anyway, it is just a guess). Another benefit of doing it after it has been resized would be that the subtitles will not be limited to the movie's resolution, but to the one of the screen, thus allowing them to look better.