Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   No more seeking with asf files after upgrading to wmp 9 (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/5722-no-more-seeking-asf-files-after-upgrading-wmp-9-a.html)

ritapas 27th October 2004 10:37 PM

No more seeking with asf files after upgrading to wmp 9

Hi,
I met bsplayer because I needed a player which was capable of seeking .asf files and this software proved good at this (and at many more).
Yesterday I was "trapped" into "upgrading" to Windows Media Player 9.
Afterwards, Bsplayer was no more able to seek asf files: as soon as I try to, the screen window remains stuck to the last image it was showing before.
Of course I tried to uninstall wmp 9 but no luck. I also tried to install BSplayer again but this wasn't enough :'(.
Has anybody any advice? I want my old dear bsplayer back (with its gorgeous mooing NooBSP skin ;) ).
Thanks
Rita

V3rt!g(o) 28th October 2004 05:51 PM

i also cant seek asf and wmv files, but this occurs in all players so it appears to be the codec problem. try searching for older windows media codec on the net but i don't know will it work. i dont like theese formats so i tend not to use them.....

adicoto 28th October 2004 06:59 PM

Installing asftools should help.

ritapas 29th October 2004 04:41 PM

Well, I had a look at asftools and indeed I could try that but in this way I had to convert all my asf files, which at present are on cdroms, and burn new cds... And unfortunately I've got many of them.

What makes me angry is that before installing Windows Media Player 9 Bsplayer was able to seek this kind of file without converting, and this is why I decided to use it.

If I converted / reindexed all files I could do without it and submit myself to WMP...

adicoto 29th October 2004 06:22 PM

IIRC asftools come with some indexing services for asf files. DOn't use it to re-encode files, just install it.
And maybe also wmtools and wmfdist.

ritapas 29th October 2004 11:04 PM

I tried all that you suggested, except for WMTools which I wasn't able to find. Anyway, no luck.

Looks like WMP9 has changed some codec in my pc, which made seeking asf file possible for bsplayer, divx player as well as itself.

Unfortunately I can't uninstall completely it, though I do run Windows 2000 and not XP (for which i read that uninstalling wmp9> is not supported).

I hope that somebody in the developers' team may help me identifying what has changed, and hopefully revert to what it was just three days ago :(

Anyway, apropos de wmdist, isn't that a codec pack which contains the same files as in wmp9 installer?

ritapas 29th October 2004 11:08 PM

P.S.: adicoto, are yourself a BSPlayer developers' team member?
P.S.2: I was able to find wmtools but it didn't help either.

ritapas 30th October 2004 11:05 AM

Update

Media player classic is now able again to seek asf files.

I Unchecked "Use the WM ASF Reader for Windows Media files" in Viev-Options-Tweaks.
I didn't find something like this in BSPlayer.

Meanwhile, BSplayer still works great in a different Windows 2000 box I own, which hasn't been "updated" to WMP9.

adicoto 30th October 2004 04:20 PM

No, I am not a BSPlayer team member, I am just a simple user.
If you open the file with MP9 (or 6.4), what codec does it say it use ?

ritapas 31st October 2004 02:29 PM

In wmp9, as well as in wmp 6.4, on UPDATED PC: Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3

In wmp 6.4 on NOT-UPDATED PC: the same! Even though HERE seeking works.

But i think they are not quite the same...

adicoto 31st October 2004 09:42 PM

I am not sure about the result (it may not work) but try to reinstall older codecs from WMP, like from WMP7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

Select from top box Codecs instllatin packages and from version WMP7.

ritapas 2nd November 2004 07:06 PM

I downloaded WMP 8.0 codecs (the oldest available from that page) but it didn't either work for BSPlayer.
It worked for old MediaPlayer 6.4, instead!

adicoto 2nd November 2004 08:38 PM

When played in BSPlayer, in filters what does it display ? THe Microsoft decoder or DivX decoder ? There is also 7 in there. What OS do you have ?

Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media Player 7.1 or later (for Windows 98, Windows Millenium Edition, and Windows 2000) is on that page.

Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media Player 7.1 or later (for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003)
and this one too.

ritapas 4th November 2004 12:56 AM

I have windows 2000 but i found only version 8.0 and version 9.0 codecs...

This is what i found in "options-filters" after loading an asf file:
Default DirectSound device (black)
EQ (greyed out)
ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder (black)
WMAudio Decoder DMO (greyed out)
<the asf file name> (greyed out)

does this give you any idea?

adicoto 4th November 2004 10:08 PM

I suggest to uninstall ffdshow. Let's see which decoder will be used.

ritapas 5th November 2004 07:01 AM

Now it says:

Mpeg43 Decoder DMO (greyed out)

instead of ffdshow!

adicoto 5th November 2004 08:01 PM

This is the one that must be used.
But divx3.11 may take the control over it IIRC, So, try to install it. When asked about overwriting file say yes.

ritapas 5th November 2004 10:59 PM

Ok, i did that. It didn't show up among filters, all remained the same. Was it expected to?
BTW i noticed that divx player cannot play my asf files but i can't tell at which point in time it ended to.

ritapas 29th November 2004 11:51 PM

Hi,
even tough we still weren't able to fix this issue, I want to thank you a lot for giving me advice: i hope that the more I will think about the things you pointed at, the nearer a solution will be.
Of course I want to mention at most Adicoto, who always seems to have an helping hand for everybody :)
Whenever i'll find an hint, i will post it here
Rita

adicoto 30th November 2004 04:55 AM

I didn't give up. Still thinking about a solution.

trodas 3rd December 2004 07:16 PM

The solution is quite simple - get rid of the M$ crap.
It this did not help, reinstall windows will.

I can't believe that any BSplayer user could even try the M$ player... :shock:

ritapas 5th December 2004 09:04 PM

Well... isn't windows itself a crappy product of Microsoft's?

ritapas 10th December 2004 08:15 PM

just for talking...

...i needed media player for using technisat dvb viewer :(

adicoto 12th December 2004 05:21 PM

Do you use Linux ?
Then why do you criticize win ? I don't like it too much either, but if you find something better, let me know. :lol:

ritapas 13th December 2004 08:06 PM

well, i don't think windows is a best choice for "corporate use": too many places to look for problems, too many windows to open/close to obtain a single configuration change, too big lack of deterministic behaviour... in spite of their "rough" appearance *nix systems are far more easy to mantain.
But i still consider windows the best os for gaming and entertainment. This is why i use it. And if you use it, you may need to "follow its rule", i.e. update it when requested by new software you may need to use.
I didn't mean to criticize windows itself, but to point out that maybe it's a paradox, blaming wmp9 and suggesting to reinstall windows at the same time. If you don't like microsoft there's plenty of choice!

adicoto 13th December 2004 09:26 PM

Sorry, but I don't think that a reinstall is always usefull. I also use windows, and I have some knowledge about it. I don't use WMP, I don't like it. Gues which is my favourite ..Player ?

ritapas 13th December 2004 09:58 PM

the same as mine, i think. That's why i'd have liked to fix it :(

adicoto 13th December 2004 11:39 PM

One last ideea:

Install (or reinstall if it is installed) DirectX 9.0c
This is the one I have, and asf still working OK.
Let me see if I find a WMV file to play.
I'll come back.

ritapas 13th December 2004 11:41 PM

you mean that you can seek asf files??? great. I'll try as soon as possible

ritapas 14th December 2004 02:01 AM

i realized that i had directx 9b installed... so upgraded to 9c. Strange i didn't notice it before.
Anyway, did not work either. I'll have to think harder about this. The fact is that old media player still can seek asf files. This makes me think that bsplayer automatically switched to wmp9 codecs as soon as it found them installed; and now doesn't seem willing to give them up!

adicoto 14th December 2004 04:53 AM

:lol: I also have WMP9 codecs installed.
I will install WMP10.
Let's see what's happening.

ritapas 14th December 2004 01:59 PM

well, i have windows 2000 so there should not be a version 10 for wmp: so you are able to seek asf as well as wvm files with bsplayer? I have two pcs now and none of them does...