Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2005
BS.Player Newbie

PhiloHippus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Embedded subtitles not showing

Greetings

I'm using BSPlayer 1.22 b817 and I'm having trouble with embedded subtitles in avi files.

BSPlayer does recognize them and under the subtitles context menu it shows a tick mark behind "show subtitles" and "subtitle 1"... but no sub is displayed... I wondered if it could be that the subs were being displayed off-field, but when I used the sub custom positioning I didn't even have the guide letters accompanying the mouse positioning, it's as if bs was rendering the letters transparent... and no I didn't get a black box if I disabled the transparent background option.

They're recognized but unviewable, not a trace of them anywhere, and the oddest part is that BSPlayer even seems to be inhibiting directVobSub from displaying the subtitle... I've tried setting directvobsub to handle embedded subs and dvs does get loaded when the file is opened in BSPlayer, but still no subs appear.

I've viewed the avi file with an hex editor to make sure the sub was there and it is, with the correct line timing.

This might seem like the problem lies in the sub, but I've tried using zoomplayer with directvobsub instead of BSPlayer and everything works as it should, so the problem does lie in BSPlayer.

To further test if it was a problem between that specific sub and BSPlayer, I also used the Hex Editor to copy the sub out from the avi file and into an external .srt file, and BSPlayer plays back the sub without a twitch, so it's only it's embedded version that BSPlayer can't handle.

Here follows a GSpot output of the file specs if that's any help:

AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: dbz.-.eps.012.-.napping.on.the.path.of.the.snake...son.goku.falls .off!.avi
Filesize.....: 230 MB (or 236,427 KB or 242,101,334 bytes)
Runtime......: 00:20:43 (29,809 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 1421 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 137 kb/s (68/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.92
Frame Size...: 576x432 (1.33:1) [=4:3]

I've tried all the following render modes, with and without directvobsub:
RGB Mode
Overlay Mode 1 and 2 (mode 2 crashes BSPlayer when opening this file with embedded subs)
VMR-9
VMR-9 renderless mode 1 and 2

I've also tried turning on and off all subtitle options in all possible logical combinations.

I see nothing more to test that can further enlighten this matter.

Any chance of correcting this bug?

Cheers

Tags
embedded, showing, subtitles