Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   Unable to load Playlist and or MediaLibrary. (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/9138-unable-load-playlist-medialibrary.html)

badnonsense 24th November 2008 01:45 AM

Unable to load Playlist and or MediaLibrary.

Hello:

I have had a look around the forums and I am unable to find the specific information that I seek to solve my problem.

The problem that I am currently experiencing is that I am neither able to load the PLAYLIST nor the MEDIA LIBRARY whether by right clicking or by going to MENU to load the lists.

Currently, I am using version 2.32, build 974.

I have gone into OPTIONS to see if there are changes that I needed to enable, though I am unable to find anything there that remotely has to do with my concerns.

I should make a note that I am able to enable ' oldstyle playlist', though unable to enable the newer style of playlist.

In OPTIONS>PREFS>PLAYLIST: I have enabled the following:

Quote:

Fullscreen;
Quote:

Always Add Files In...
Quote:

Use Oldstyle Playlist
Within that same window, I have enabled the following:

Quote:

Playlist Defaults:
Both selections are enabled as :

Quote:

As Previous
In MEDIALIBRARY>GENERAL, I have enabled the following:

Quote:

Play;
Quote:

LOad entire selection
Help would be greatly appreciated as I have looked around inside the player PREFS and have not been able to find anything that resembles being able to fix what concern I have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tizio 24th November 2008 06:28 PM

First try to download latest BSplayer release (v2.33) which fixes some playlist bugs, maybe your problem got fixed too in that release

badnonsense 24th November 2008 11:48 PM

sorry, but that didn't solve anything. problem persisting.

Even so, prior to a re-install of the OS over the last weekend, BS player proved to be working very well without concerns or problems.

Therefore, the problem does not involve whether or not its the latest player. Moreso, IMO, some setting of the player.

Thanks again in advance for your response.

BSPeter 24th November 2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnonsense
.....Even so, prior to a re-install of the OS over the last weekend, BS player proved to be working very well without concerns or problems.....

Ah, and now (after a re-install of the OS) you suspect (some setting of) BS.Player to be the culprit...? Reading your posts with that new info, I would rather think that some OS-setting of your user rights might well cause what you're experiencing. E.g. do you have free and full access to all folders concerned? Personally I would really seek in that direction for a solution to your mistery.
Your OS? SP?
:wink:
P.S.:
Perhaps try reinstallation after having fully uninstalled BS.Player
(through Config>Software e.g. in safe mode)

badnonsense 25th November 2008 03:17 AM

Hello.
Sorry, but I cannot accept the idea that it is the fault of the OS.

An OS is infrastructure on which software components of a computer system are enabled. It is basically responsible for the management and coordination of activities on the computer.

An OS is not an interfering component. Unless one specifically intends toward this. That is not the case here.

When one installs an OS, it provides a platform for softwares to function on.
JUst because I mentioned that I re-installed the OS should not necessarily be the first implication that it is automatically the fault of the OS as I believe you are suggesting.

that would be an incorrect suggestion to make, IMHO.

And yes. Folder access is enabled. So therefore, that would rule out your suggestion.

Secondly, having folder access is not relevant to this concern. I believe that having folder access is related to accessibility to OS files as I read from your post. From what I read from your post, I think that this is what your suggesting.

Thirdly, you mentioned user rights:

Quote:

your user rights might well cause what you're experiencing
If user rights were not enabled, I would not be able to enable BSplayer. Yes??

Since I am able to play music, watch video, etc...BSPlayer is obviously enabled.

Again, therefore OS re-installation is not anywhere near being a culprit.

Thank you again in advance for your kind help.

Tizio 25th November 2008 06:14 PM

If you think it's BSplayer's preferences fault, then you can simply delete them. This way BSplayer will recreate them with default values (which always worked at least for me and I think also for BSPeter)

Anyway you didn't provided OS type and SP version (Vista and XP have different behavior)
You can't say that the OS cannot be the culprit, in fact on this forum there are (well, there were) many many many reports of BSplayer bugs just because when users chose to install BSplayer preferences in BSplayer install dir, the OS refused to save their settings and do some more operations (registering the product is one of these)

Ok, the OS can not be the culprit, but the way the users use it can..
Especially in the period of migration from one system to another one.

Anyway, if you installed Vista OS, then BSplayer settings file (BSplayer.xml) is located under C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\BSplayer\. If you installed XP it's located under C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\BSplayer\, or if you chose to save it into BSP install dir, by default it should be C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSplayer\

If you want some more help from us, provide us as much information as you can, this way it will be simple for us to help you, or for BSP devs to pinpoint the problem ;)

BSPeter 25th November 2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnonsense
JUst because I mentioned that I re-installed the OS should not necessarily be the first implication that it is automatically the fault of the OS as I believe you are suggesting.
If user rights were not enabled, I would not be able to enable BSplayer. Yes??
Since I am able to play music, watch video, etc...BSPlayer is obviously enabled.

Let me thank you first on your lecture regarding what an OS stands for. I was really unaware of that. :lol:
Further I never suggested that the OS is at fault. I merely suggested you might seek in the direction of a feature offered by the OS (to protect its own integrity and that of your user-data) e.g. the setting of administrator and user-access rights (to the folders and files concerned). I also was not referring to OS-files, but to BS.Player files.
It was your remark "Even so, prior to a re-install of the OS over the last weekend, BS player proved to be working very well without concerns or problems.", which imho certainly doesn't point to any BS.Player setting causing your problems (assuming that you didn't also change BS.Player's settings). Seemed logical to me to look for a possible cause in what did change (and not in what remained untouched).
Anyway, the fact that BS.Player is "enabled" and that you can play media files, does not necessarily mean, that BS.Player's access to BS.Player's preferences file (most likely in another folder than BS.Player's installation folder) is automatically "enabled" (for reading and writing) too.
Following Tizio's information, you should be able to find and rename or delete BS.Player's settings-file: BSplayer.[username.]xml (while BS.Player is inactive). Just try that "rough remedy" and let us know any results.

BSPeter 26th November 2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tizio
Anyway, if you installed Vista OS, then BSplayer settings file (BSplayer.xml) is located under C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\BSplayer\. If you installed XP it's located under C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\BSplayer\, or if you chose to save it into BSP install dir, by default it should be C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSplayer\

I've just been testing and came across a possible problem when using the rough remedy method of renaming or deleting settings file in case a non default setting was used upon the (initial) installation of BS.Player. E.g. if one has originally chosen settings in BS.Player's installation folder and BSplayer.xml file is deleted/renamed: the next time BS.Player is started it creates (always in the default folder for the OS in question) the following files and folders:
BSplayer.xml - bspml.xml - bsplist.bsl - bsp.dat - bslib (folder, containing 3 .dat-files) - cache (folder).
When closing BS.Player immediately after that and then moving those files and folders to the installation folder (as there is where you really want them) there doesn't seem to be a problem. However, if you do that at a later stage, e.g. PL and ML may indeed become unaccessible. [I suppose a similar behaviour may occur when installing another OS, for which the default location for the settings file is different from the previous OS.]
Could you (Tizio) also do some testing pse?
P.S.:
So as long as none of the default settings are changed upon installation, it is rather safe to use the rough remedy method; otherwise you need to be aware of the changed location to (perhaps) manually move those files and folders (back) to where you want them.

Tizio 27th November 2008 08:10 PM

I did some tests in the past, and I saw that BSplayer first checks if there's a BSplayer.xml file in the UserAccount folder, then, if it finds nothing, checks into BSplayer installation dir. If it still can't find a settings file it creates one, but I can't remember where.. I just remember that maybe it also automatically moved the other settings files in the folder where it saves the BSplayer.xml file..
If I have some spare time I'll some tests this same night..

Tizio 27th November 2008 08:56 PM

Ok, I've done a simple test, renamed BSplayer.xml file (originally located in BSplayer installation dir)
At next BSplayer startup all the settings files got created/moved to the UserAccount folder, so there are no problems in creation of settings files in locked directories.
Also I was wrong when I said that BSplayer firstly checs the UserAccount folder, it first search BSplayer installation dir, if it finds the settings file then BSP loads it and next time will overwrite it, otherwise checks UserAccount folder (and if no settings files got found, then all settings files will be moved in UserAccount folder).
Another thing I was wrong (if I mentioned it) is that if you create (or rename back) BSplayer.xml file into the installation dir, the settings files located into the UserAccount folder don't get moved back to the installation dir, but you have to move them back manually ;)