Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 15th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

derebo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [REQUEST] can't load Unicode-filename video files

hi,

given this situatiation:

western windows xp install (Unicode-based) [obviously, non-Russian]
Russian Unicode filename: Дереза.avi

bsplayer cannot open the file! ...

even changing to Russian in the region panel (support for non-Unicode programs) or changing the font (desktop>properties) does not help to open such a file.

i haven't tried but i don't think the microsoft applocale utility will work, since it is the same as changing to Russian in the region panel (but no need to boot). CONFIRMED: it does not work. i have installed it and tested it. the result is: can't open file.

could anything be implemented to solve this?

i have realized when i change region panel support for non-Unicode programs to Russian, bsplayer can play Russian Unicode filename video files.

the goal would be not having to reboot the computer each time i wan to play such a video file.

greetings,
Old 17th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Kelvie is an unknown quantity at this point

I will definitely support this.

This shouldn't be just a feature request; it should be a required feature.

The goal of programming in Windows XP (as well as the goal of Unicode) is to have all programs to have full international support, breaking the codeset barriers.

Most, if not all, new programs have unicode built in.

BSplayer should too; it is extremely annoying that if there is even one character in a foreign language in the filename, it won't play in BSplayer (when English is set in the "Language for Non-Unicode Programs", as is required by some games), and requires the use of Windows Media Player.

Being a BSPlayer user for at least three years now (I think), it is very difficult to get used to the little amount of control that Windows Media Player gives you. However, Microsoft doesn't skimp on the small details like Unicode support.

Unicode is one of the greatest ideas ever invented to computer users, second only probably to the great BitTorrent.

It's a shame that BSplayer can't support it.

It may be a challenge though; the crew at WinAmp I remember had a tough time integrating Unicode into their player, eventually leading to the finding of the much superior foobar2000 music player :P

But please, devlelopers, just add this little detail and perfect BSplayer...
Old 19th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

hi,

i totally agree with you in every sense. btw, foobar2000 is great! i found it not long ago and now i can't live without it :) winamp developers talked about unicode support but... nothing so far. bsplayer is great so let's hope they'll add this feature sometime soon ;)

greetings,
Old 14th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Kelvie is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, I want to stress this feature.

There is currently no media player capable of playing files with an international character set outside of Windows Media Player.... which is garbage.
Old 16th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

hi,

i'd like to stress the importance of that feature too. bsplayer is a great one, imho, the best one. why not making it even better by adding unicode support?

greetings,

Tags
load, request, unicodefilename, video