Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2010
BS.Player Power User

grendizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Digital connections from pc to speakers?

Hello,
I have a question to those who digitally connected their PC to their speakers.
I'm using the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 speakers on Windows Vista. For now, they are connected to my mainboard with the 3 analog cables.
I will soon purchase a HTPC and I would like to connect it to the Z5500 using a digital cable (optical or coaxial).
When I will switch to digital wires, the speakers can only decode AC3 and DTS. It cannot decode all other audio codecs, like for example , the "Ogg" audio format, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, AAC, FLAC, or 5.1 streams from video games.
So through a digital connection, only these 2 formats can be sent to my speakers: DTS and Dolby Digital (AC3).
But I have heard there are some soundcards and motherboards that can convert all these "alien" audio formats to AC3 or DTS on the fly. These technologies are called DTS-Interactive and Dolby Digital Live.
I'm wondering if someone is using these technologies and is it working well?
Thanks
Grendizer

Tags
connections, digital, speakers