Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Priapulidae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about portprocessing

Hello :)

I'm pretty new to A/V on computers but tryin to learn, so here's a newbie question for you...

What is postprocessing really? Is it done by the BSPlayer automatically? I was told to download "ffdshow" for its postprocessing capabilities but is this "filter" acive while i play from bsplayer, I mean, do the settings in ffdshow affect how stuff is played in bsplayer...i mean how does the player know I have it installed :P

Very thankful for some basic knowledge on this, as you can see I have no clue hehe
Old 23rd October 2003
BS.Player Power User

Quietseb is an unknown quantity at this point

on this page, you'll find an explanation of what post processing does:
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DivxBeta.htm
[it's related to an old divx version, but the principles don't change; look for 'Default decoder postprocessing level' in the page to find the interesting part.]

basically: the highest the post-processing level, the better the picture (to a certain extent of course) but also the hardest the CPU charge required.
If you have a slow processor, you should probably set the post processing to a low level

post processing is done by the decoder (in your case, ffdshow). you can set the post processing level in ffdshow itself.
also bsplayer offers some shortcuts to increase/decrease the post processing level in ffdshow (meaning: bsplayer tells to ffdshow to modify a parameter; but the post processing is still done by ffdshow)

Tags
portprocessing, question