Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > News And Updates

News And Updates Latests BS.Player news and announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 15th June 2006
BS.Developer
BS.Player Power User

bst will become famous soon enoughbst will become famous soon enough
Default New licensing policy

Webteh is entering a new era with the release of 2nd generation of BS.Player. As we are transforming from a small company to a serious software development company, we are also trying very hard to control the costs that the company has with development, distribution and support of BS.Player. We know and do not expect BS.Player to be “the money maker”, but we do want to continue to develop BS.Player for the pleasure of you, our dear customers. We are making a move from strictly technology oriented company to customer oriented company. We will do our best to offer new dimensions of quality and performance for the BS.Community as a whole, and especially to you, our registered customers.

BS.Player seems to be one of the best and most popular multimedia players in the world, but this is not good enough for us. We are working really hard to bring you new features and improved technologies in every new version of our product. We are already developing several exciting and unique technologies and features which will be implemented in the next versions of BS.Player. And we have a bundle of ideas for the future. We can assure that our development cycle will be a lot shorter that three years for the next major releases. New updates will be posted as needed.

This is the main reason why we decided to change our licensing policy for the BS.Player Pro product family. Until now we had a product oriented licensing (you paid license fee, received free updates for the whole life cycle of the current product generation – for example: for BS.Player 1.x generation – but not for the new generation of the software – like BS.Player 2.0 is). Now, we are turning to subscription-based licensing: this means that you buy (one time payment) the license for using the software and you also receive a 12-months subscription for ALL updates and upgrades for the BS.Player Pro family products.

When your subscription expires you will still have right to use (and download from you personal download center) all the updated versions and new releases which were released during your subscription period.

Why is this solution better for the customers?

It looks like the new policy is not as friendly for the customers as the old one. But it is. Our new customer oriented strategy and approach is to strengthen the development and implementation of innovative new technologies and solutions. This means that the new products and major updates will not go out only every three years (like it happened with BS.Player 1.x) but maybe even several times a year. And due to new licensing policy you will receive all this new releases during your subscription period – even if there will be completely new generation of the product – without extra charge. You will also have right for the e-mail technical support (which will also be raised to the new level) during you subscription.
We can also share a little secret - the new subscription policy is an intro for the new subscription based services (stream-BS.tv, video on demand, mobile streaming) which should be implemented in next generations of BS.Player family products.

Pricing information

New customers

Bs.Player Pro + 12 months subscription to updates AND upgrades = 29.90€

Registered users of Bs.Player 1.x Pro & Subscription Extension

Bs.Player Pro + 12 months subscription to updates AND upgrades = 19.90€

Speciall note for existing customers:

We know it’s not very nice to change the rules when the game is running. So we prepared a special deal for all our dear customers which bought BS.Player Pro license in the previous six months (after 1st of December 2005). You will receive FREE upgrade to BS.Player Pro 2.0 and 12-months subscription to updates and new releases. We will send you an email with all the information for upgrading within the end of this week (16th of June 2006). If you paid for the license in the last six months and you won’t receive the email about free upgrading please send us an e-mail with your license information to
support@bsplayer.com

We would like to thank you for your support … and wish you a lot of fun with BS.Player!
Old 15th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

I think you have made the right decision
Old 15th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Corona Extra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New licensing policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst
Until now we had a product oriented licensing (you paid license fee, received free updates for the whole life cycle of the current product generation – for example: for BS.Player 1.x generation – but not for the new generation of the software – like BS.Player 2.0 is).
Can you please tell me where that was mentioned in the original license agreement? Oh... wait, you can't :roll:

Well, never mind... Good luck with the further development of bsplayer and take care.

You've just lost a customer to ZoomPlayer pro
Old 15th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Tricky2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm happy with BSPlayer Pro v1.40 and PowerDVD for my DVD playback.

All the best for the future.
Old 4th July 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Pavelman is an unknown quantity at this point

what about free version ? is it going to be spyware?
Old 20th July 2006
BS.Player Newbie

HoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whatever Corona Extra

whatever Corona Extra

i never bought bsplayer , always used the free veriosn, but now with the saveu crap im actaully thinking of buying it (never bought software in my life, except game), ... eh, prob look for crack first, but when i actually have money this would be the first software i would ever support.
Old 13th October 2006
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

And with purchase of PRO you get technical e-mail help too.
;)
Old 19th October 2006
BS.Player Newbie

JP is an unknown quantity at this point

I am inclined to agree with your licensing policy. It will be especially good for the customer if your new product line is as robust and fully supported as BS Player Pro has been over the years.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2006
BS.Player Newbie

pcaddict44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A change for the worse???

:(
I've been using BS.player for several years in the FREE FORMAT and found it to be a solid, stabile product. If there were enough enhancements or if the cost to license the 'Pro' version were less costly, I'd readily go for that. Recently I D/L'd the "latest/greatest" version only to find that I had to agree to install/use the 'attached' accessory program in order to use BS.player. Unfortunately, my system absolutely BALKS at this install as the 'accessory program' is categorized as "Spyware" and therefore I cannot use the "Free" version of BS.Player at all! So, I guess I'll just stick with the good old version that's been working for me so well...or perhaps switch to the NERO MEDIA PLAYER instead....
Old 9th January 2008
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

@pcaddict44: Have you checked the PROlite version of BS.Player?

http://www.bsplayer.org/en/bs.player/download/
Old 28th March 2008
BS.player Regular User

waspy is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not clear though, why are you forced to upgrade to a new version every time there is an update. If I bought a particular version of the product I should be able to use it as long as I want. Even if I uncheck the option to check for a new version, BSPlayer closes with "Upgrade to a new version" message. Is it a bug maybe?
Old 28th March 2008
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

@waspy: This is a bug in 2.27 and it will not happen in any future versions.

If you disable "Check for new versions at startup" you will not and shall not receive any reminders about new updates.

Tags
licensing, policy