View Single Post
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

teapot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default won't play .avi files with XviD MPEG-4 and DivX3 codecs

I just purchased BS.Player 2.26 PRO lite. Before that I used the free version for years, so it was quite an old version, don't ask which, as I don't know. The old version played all .avi files with no problem.
I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade but I had a problem with some trojans a few weeks ago and some antivirus happened to delete bsplayer from my system, thinking it's malicious software. (??!)

I wanted BSPlayer back, and having realised the free version comes with piles of adware, I decided to buy the pro version.

So I downloaded and installed BS.Player 2.26 PRO lite, and lo and behold, it's not like the old one, it won't play my old .avi files. I don't like that, I feel like a bit of an idiot, having just paid for it to watch it stop working.
Surely that's not right.

As far as I can make out, it won't play .avi files with XviD MPEG-4 and DivX3 codecs. According to VideoInspector both of those are installed on my computer, and those same files have no problem playing in other players like winamp or VLC.

What happens with BSplayer is that when I try to open an .avi file with those codecs, it gives me an error and offers to close, restart or continue the application. It also gives me a huge bug report (I'll post info from it if it's necessary)

It plays all other files I've tried - .mpg files with MPEG-1 codecs, and vob files, those have worked.

As for my computer, I'm running WindowsXP SP2.

I really hope you can help me, would be a shame to not get this to work now that I've paid for it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20