Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

teapot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default won't play .avi files with XviD MPEG-4 and DivX3 codecs

I just purchased BS.Player 2.26 PRO lite. Before that I used the free version for years, so it was quite an old version, don't ask which, as I don't know. The old version played all .avi files with no problem.
I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade but I had a problem with some trojans a few weeks ago and some antivirus happened to delete bsplayer from my system, thinking it's malicious software. (??!)

I wanted BSPlayer back, and having realised the free version comes with piles of adware, I decided to buy the pro version.

So I downloaded and installed BS.Player 2.26 PRO lite, and lo and behold, it's not like the old one, it won't play my old .avi files. I don't like that, I feel like a bit of an idiot, having just paid for it to watch it stop working.
Surely that's not right.

As far as I can make out, it won't play .avi files with XviD MPEG-4 and DivX3 codecs. According to VideoInspector both of those are installed on my computer, and those same files have no problem playing in other players like winamp or VLC.

What happens with BSplayer is that when I try to open an .avi file with those codecs, it gives me an error and offers to close, restart or continue the application. It also gives me a huge bug report (I'll post info from it if it's necessary)

It plays all other files I've tried - .mpg files with MPEG-1 codecs, and vob files, those have worked.

As for my computer, I'm running WindowsXP SP2.

I really hope you can help me, would be a shame to not get this to work now that I've paid for it.
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

Ledah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if you don't have xvid decoder install on your pc bsplayer won't play AVI files.
Atleast you must have DivX installed to play AVI files.

Here try this link to get DivX player, once you installed it your bsplayer should able to play AVI files.http://www.divx.com/?lang=en

ps: just download the free version.
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

But I ALREADY HAVE DivX installed. That whole package.
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

Ok, for the sake of trying it, I just upgraded my divX from 6.7 to 6.8. No change in BS player. Here's another thing I noticed, which can't be right:

Why is the whole video section blanked out? Why is BSplayer refusing to read my codecs?
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

To play Div3 Content, you just need to install DivX 3.11 alpha. It's free and you can download it from the internet. It remains one of the best codecs. You don't need a later release, such as DivX 5 or 6. Just reinstall XviD and let it decode DivX content. Those builds are needed just in case you want to play some special content like .divx files.
Once you have DivX 3.11 installed and open a file encoded with it, the settings won't be greyed out any more and you cand adjust decoding either from the decoder interface, either from BSPlayer interface, as in the picture above.
Old 28th February 2008
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

It is possible that during the cleanup of your PC some video decoders also got deleted. You don't need this DivX package. Remove it and install ffdshow. It will allow you to play all MPEG-4 formats and comes with no nonsense like DivX6.

Quote:
It remains one of the best codecs.
As they say on Wikipedia: Citation needed.
Old 29th February 2008
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7N
It is possible that during the cleanup of your PC some video decoders also got deleted. You don't need this DivX package. Remove it and install ffdshow. It will allow you to play all MPEG-4 formats and comes with no nonsense like DivX6.

Quote:
It remains one of the best codecs.
As they say on Wikipedia: Citation needed.
yay!! that worked!

Thank you so much!!
Old 4th March 2008
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

"and some antivirus happened to delete bsplayer from my system, thinking it's malicious software. (??!) " !? What antivirus are your using?

P.S.: BS.Player does not uninstall any decoders during instalation of new version, so this problem you had might be connected to the problems with trojans on your PC and their cleanup, like suggested by J7N.
Old 4th March 2008
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-man
"and some antivirus happened to delete bsplayer from my system, thinking it's malicious software. (??!) " !? What antivirus are your using?

P.S.: BS.Player does not uninstall any decoders during instalation of new version, so this problem you had might be connected to the problems with trojans on your PC and their cleanup, like suggested by J7N.
well, I used quite a few, I used antivir XP (don't think that one did anything) and a-squared free and combofix and some other stuff. I think they deleted it cos the free version comes with adware so it thought the whole bsplayer package was malware.
Not sure if that's what caused the problem with the codecs though, that could have been the virus/trojan, who knows.

ps. why aren't quotes working?
Old 4th March 2008
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapot
Some problem in PHPBB. You must enable "Disable HTML in this post" option. You can make this the default choice by editing your profile.
Old 4th March 2008
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7N
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapot
Some problem in PHPBB. You must enable "Disable HTML in this post" option. You can make this the default choice by editing your profile.
ahhh, ok, thanks!

Tags
avi, mpeg4, play, xvid