View Single Post
Old 19th July 2008
BS.player Regular User

beholder4096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Allright, so after about a month I found time to test this thoroughly on my machine, the one I specced-out above. It turns out these are indeed performance issues, not bugs as much. I also believe, the performance of moving forward, especially in WMV files, can still be improved.

Problems with AVIs disappeared, or were successfully reduced, after following modifications:
- uninstall XP codec pack or some other sh!t that caused FFDshow to be used every time an avi was playing
- reinstall DivX to the latest version (weird, it plays Xvid files too, is this normal?)

Now when I try to hold the "jump forward" key and the frame-jumping is on, with AVIs it's almost as fast as in GOM.

It's a bit different story with WMV files. When fast-forwarding them, the display is still, even the OSD has problem displaying the digits in time (updates every 1-5 seconds). The picture never updates. GOM has problems with WMV too, although it's a bit faster in fast-forwarding. As I understand, the jump-to-keyframe is not possible in WMV, so the point is moot. HOWEVER:
- this happens on the default overlay rendering mode selected
- when I tried the VMR9 or VMR7 Renderer, it's a bit faster, the picture updates sporadically
- VMR9 or VMR7 give weird issues on some files that resulted in moving the video forward for a longer while although the key was not pressed anymore.

EDIT: These were all VMR renderless modes I was talking about.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20