Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th May 2008
BS.player Regular User

beholder4096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default perhaps a bug in jump forward/back? (2.28)

I am probably too obnoxious about it, but seeking/jumping by keyframe is still not functioning according to my original idea (that I actually took from GOM Player).

While seeking (by keyframe) in GOM by continually holding the seek key the player actually shows what's happening in the picture.
When I try the same feature in BSplayer, I get a still screen that doesn't change (only OSD changes), while I hold the seeking key. Only upon releasing the key the screen changes. This is especially true for large AVIs. This happens on 1.5 GHz Athlon XP + Ati Radeon 9600. It doesn't matter how many 'seconds' you set to jump.

So obviously, the 'speed' of seeking has probably nothing to do with this feature - the displaying of content while holding the seek key. The way it works now in BSplayer, the seeking by keyframe is fast, but the implementation unfortunately could be deficient. I'd like to see 'what is happening' while holding the arrow key.

Also, I am sorry for coming up with this so late. I was away for a while and also couldn't find the time to install the new version to actually test this.
Old 9th June 2008
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Hi, sorry if I reply only now, but I was away too for a short amount of time :P

I have no problems in seeking, either by seconds or by keyframes, I always have an updated picture showing me the exact keyframe corresponding to the time shown on the OSD (I don't think it's your PC's speed, since I have no problems on an old Pentium III 800MHz)

I used FFDShow to test this feature,
Try to use the internal buffer if you have the PRO version of the player (or update the video drivers), it helps ;)
Does this happen with all of the rendering modes?
Old 9th June 2008
BS.player Regular User

Thanks for reply, Tizio,

will check and will let you know soon. I have to test this thoroughly, since from what you say it could be a misconfiguration.
Old 19th July 2008
BS.player Regular User

Allright, so after about a month I found time to test this thoroughly on my machine, the one I specced-out above. It turns out these are indeed performance issues, not bugs as much. I also believe, the performance of moving forward, especially in WMV files, can still be improved.

Problems with AVIs disappeared, or were successfully reduced, after following modifications:
- uninstall XP codec pack or some other sh!t that caused FFDshow to be used every time an avi was playing
- reinstall DivX to the latest version (weird, it plays Xvid files too, is this normal?)

Now when I try to hold the "jump forward" key and the frame-jumping is on, with AVIs it's almost as fast as in GOM.

It's a bit different story with WMV files. When fast-forwarding them, the display is still, even the OSD has problem displaying the digits in time (updates every 1-5 seconds). The picture never updates. GOM has problems with WMV too, although it's a bit faster in fast-forwarding. As I understand, the jump-to-keyframe is not possible in WMV, so the point is moot. HOWEVER:
- this happens on the default overlay rendering mode selected
- when I tried the VMR9 or VMR7 Renderer, it's a bit faster, the picture updates sporadically
- VMR9 or VMR7 give weird issues on some files that resulted in moving the video forward for a longer while although the key was not pressed anymore.

EDIT: These were all VMR renderless modes I was talking about.
Old 19th July 2008
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Welcome back beholder4096
About DivX able to decode XviD files, yes, it's normal if you enabled (it's enabled by default) the option to play also other MPEG-4 videos as shown below
(check the option higlighted to enable XviD decoding)

The same applies to the contrary, XviD is able to decode MPEG-4 encoded with other codecs videos

Good to know you was able to increase the skeek frames speed, although I noticed better performances by using FFDShow or XviD decoders instead of DivX ones (well, v5.x was quite good)

Hope you'll get better seeking speed with WMV files!

See you soon
Tizio
Old 19th July 2008
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

No problems in here seeking forward in keyframes in AVI files, using XviD decoder.
No succes with x264 MKV files with CoreAVC decoder (no update of the picture)
No problems in MPEG files
No succes in WMV (got only HD-WMV)
Old 19th July 2008
BS.player Regular User

Yes, that actually looks like a confirmation of my suspicion:
Something like forcing keyframe picture to display is obviously a must here. I am not sure about WMV (not sure they have keyframes or anything similar), but in AVIs the picture non-update would be solved by displaying the relevant keyframe pictures by force (right now the seeking continues on and "doesn't wait" for keyframes to display -> this would be changed). Seeking would be slower but there would be VERY QUICK visual update of the picture, therefore the viewer's mind would perceive it as quick. Furthermore, the functionality would allow quite fast visual seeking without missing those precious keyframe displays. This is of course probably moot on very fast computers.

With WMV, the situation looks even more dire than with AVIs on slower computers. I tried to make it faster, it's a bit better with that damn renderless VMR, even the option "WMV acceleration" on the graphics card is enabled, however it's still jerking forward and back. There is probably just no possible way to make the seeking faster (and therefore the frames to display during seeking) except for a programmatic change inside BSplayer which would force BSplayer to display like 2 frames per second (realtime second, not a second in the movie) even if the user still holds the jump forward key.

Tags
forward or back, jump