View Single Post
Old 19th July 2008
BS.player Regular User

beholder4096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that actually looks like a confirmation of my suspicion:
Something like forcing keyframe picture to display is obviously a must here. I am not sure about WMV (not sure they have keyframes or anything similar), but in AVIs the picture non-update would be solved by displaying the relevant keyframe pictures by force (right now the seeking continues on and "doesn't wait" for keyframes to display -> this would be changed). Seeking would be slower but there would be VERY QUICK visual update of the picture, therefore the viewer's mind would perceive it as quick. Furthermore, the functionality would allow quite fast visual seeking without missing those precious keyframe displays. This is of course probably moot on very fast computers.

With WMV, the situation looks even more dire than with AVIs on slower computers. I tried to make it faster, it's a bit better with that damn renderless VMR, even the option "WMV acceleration" on the graphics card is enabled, however it's still jerking forward and back. There is probably just no possible way to make the seeking faster (and therefore the frames to display during seeking) except for a programmatic change inside BSplayer which would force BSplayer to display like 2 frames per second (realtime second, not a second in the movie) even if the user still holds the jump forward key.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20