View Single Post
Old 10th April 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Downgrrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
Just loaded an sub file and saved it as srt. No problems, ","it's used. Is it possible that BSPlayer reads OS regional settings and act depending on it ? As there is a decimal separator, it will be used according to OS regional settings, isn't it so ? Rather than the correct usage which says: ","it's used, as the software was developped in France
Yes, it (Bsplayer Pro 2.36.990 subtitle editor) currently uses the default system regional settings, as I already said below.

But this is simply not correct, even if it sometimes produces the correct result. It is true that the comma was chosen for the format because the software and format was developed in France, BUT the format is specified fixed only with the comma, at least up till now.

Thus many players, "correctly", refuse to accept (not accept = not parse properly = no subtitles) the decimal point srt's which result if you use the current Bsplayer editor with a "." as default regional separator. I have my XP set to UK (English) with German Keyboard and it currently produces 00:00:00.000.

Perhaps the .srt format specification should be changed, to allow either "." or ",". I have no idea where that would be done though, and I do not know if all the media players which require a "," would be pleased to simply change their software to accept either. In terms of parseability (eindeutigkeit) either "," or "." would work fine. I do not know if there is an international or internet standard for time stamp formats with decimalised seconds.

I have talked to VLC about this, and they seem to be considering allowing either ("." or ",") in future versions, though I am not involved at their decision level.

SubSync accepts either "." or "," but writes only the correct format ",".

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20