Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th July 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Darien is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BsPlayer doesn't work with Xvid Codec?

Hi!! my name is Sebasti??n and I'm writing this mail because I had some problems with XviD Codec. I couldn't see some movies in any player becuase the movies appeared green or something like that, so I install last version of Xvid Codec and I could see them in Divx player but this player is the only one in which I could see it. Normally I use BsPlayer to see the movies because I like it very much and I think it's the best player, but I still see the movies green.

I' ve already install all last versions of all codecs but I haven't had good results.
what can I do? BsPlayer 0.86 doesn't work with Xvid Codec?

(Sorry for my English)
Old 30th July 2003
BS.Player Power User

bond is an unknown quantity at this point

uninstall all codec packs on your system (+ clean the registry)

download the latest unstable xvid codec (directly from one of the developers) from here
Old 31st July 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Download xvid from www.xvid.net version 0.91, latest official, stable version of codec.
Old 1st August 2003
BS.Player Power User

0.91 is old

always download the latest available xvid version. period
Old 1st August 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

0.91 is the latest, stable, and official release of xvid team. All the rest are different builds of individuals(Koepi, Tom, Nick and so on...), released for testing. After passing the test period, the best parts of them put together will become the xvid codec version 1.0. So, I do't think that people who post here are beta testers. If they were, they don't need to post here.
And, by the way, why using the latest UNSTABLE version ? To have an unstable computer ?
Old 1st August 2003
BS.Player Power User

an unstable xvid build doesnt mean that your computer gets unstable of course :roll:

look guys like koepi, nic and umaniac dont make "individual" builds, their builds are all from the same original xvid source code (nothing hacked or so)

the 091 build is the same as koepis stable build, which is from 04.10.2002, which is pretty old
this build doesnt include newer features (without these xvid wouldnt be what it is) even if koepi call them "unstable" (nic for example doesnt call them unstable...)

features which are not included in 091 are
- b-frames
- vhq
- qpel
- chroma motion
- global motion compensation (gmc)
- chroma optimiser
- trellis quantisation

of course it can cause problems if you want to decode with the 091 build a movie encoded with a newer build (using the above mentioned features)

btw. the xvid developers themself (like syskin) recommend to always use the builds based on the latest sourcecode (search a little bit for that on doom9) ;)

but hey i dont want to force anybody to his luck...
Old 2nd August 2003
limace42
BS.Guest

Default working with WMP but not with BSplayer

I tried all my best to clean my system from all xvid codecs, and I installed the latest xvid I could find on the net.
But the problem remains the same: the video works perfectly under Windows Media Player, while BSplayer keeps on displaying green and blue things instead of the video.

The problem is not codecs, so what is it?

Thank you.
Old 2nd August 2003
popeye
BS.Guest

:? Seems to me it's a problem of the (bs-)player program implementation, not of the odec. I've got exactly the same problem as darien's (or sebastian's). A lot of movies can be played properly ONLY with Divx-player, and not with bs- or wm-player or anything else, they do play them but with green. Divx-player plays them perceftly. Virtualdub also shows good video, but it can't play the audio.

Problem is, Divxplayer has limit features. For example, adjusting brightness doesn't work. Or maybe it isn't possible at all with that codec.
Old 2nd August 2003
BS.Player Power User

divxplayer uses its own internal mpeg-4 decoder (based on divx5 of course)

there are some ways to solve the green picture issue:

1) it is widly accepted on most boards that the green picture was caused because some codec packs (namely nimo codec pack) fucked up the system registry!

that' why i wrote in my first thread that you should
- uninstall all codec packs (not only the xvid codec)
- clean the registry (for example with regcleaner)
- and install the xvid version directly from the developers

by some people this helped against the green picture, by others this didnt and they had to format their system and reinstall it to absolutely solve the registry issue - i am sure they will never even touch a codec pack...

2) another way that can help is to install ffdshow (which is then used to decode your video files)

3) a third way can be to let divx5 decode the problematic xvid file ->
in koepis xvid version there is a small tool called fourcc changer or so! open your problematic xvid in there and change the fourcc to divx or dx50

of course you will have to install divx5.0.5 first
Old 2nd August 2003
popeye
BS.Guest

Thanks for your reply, 007! Your suggestion solved the problem..

First I changed the fourcc codes, but it didn't help. Then I installed ffdshow from doom9.org, that worked out fine.

8)

Tags
codec, xvid