Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   LIST OF CODECS (optional if BS.Player Codec Manager is used) (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/2939-list-codecs-optional-if-bs-player-codec-manager-used.html)

adicoto 8th November 2003 09:17 PM

LIST OF CODECS (optional if BS.Player Codec Manager is used)

Those are (IMHO) the most important codecs needed by bsplayer to run properly and see allmost any kind of video file.

Common used codecs (not needed if you use FFDSHOW) ffdshow tryouts | Official Website
------------------------------------------------------------------

DivX codec:
DivX 7 | DivX.com

XviD, Koepi home page:
Koepi.org

XviD homepage:
Xvid.org: Downloads

AC3 decompresor:
AC-3 ACM Codec

AC3Filter:
AC3Filter

3ivx:
3ivx MPEG-4 5.0.2 - Audio and Video Compression Technology - Windows Download

MPEG2 decoders (REQUIRED FOR DVD PLAYBACK):
K-lite codec pack (ONLY install option"MPEG-2, DVD>Cyberlink"):
free codec download audio pack at k-litecodecpack.com

Elecard: Elecard Ltd. - Free download, MPEG2, MPEG4, AVC/H.264, DVD, shareware, freeware, codec pack, SDK, decoder, encoder

BitCtrl: bitcontrol® multimedia software

MPEG2 decoder

http://www.deskshare.com/download/mpeg2decoder.exe

SourceForge.net: guliverkli: Files

[added by Ico-Man]

Ogg codec:
illiminable Ogg Directshow Filters
For those who encountered errors using OGGDS0995, and for mode 3+ :
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA012...m_20020708.zip

Matroska splitter:
Welcome | Matroska

X264 codec:
Download x264 Video Codec r1139 - A free library for encoding H264/AVC video streams - Softpedia

Haali media splitter:
Haali Media Splitter
For .MP4 files you can use 3ivX decoder, haali media splitter or alternate

MP4 splitters (Gabest):

AMR DECODER
http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/downlo....0.1.0_bin.zip

For WMV files:
Windows Media Video 9 Series Codecs

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Various codecs
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Xcd filter:
Mode2 CD Maker - DeXT

Real media and Quick Time media codecs (Quick time alternative and Real alternative)
Download Real Alternative (added by Ico-man)
QuickTime Alternative download (added by Ico-man)
Edskes File Download Mirror

The ON2 codecs:
Products and Services
On2 Technologies - Making Video Possible, from Handhelds to HD
------------------------------------------------------------------------
FFdshow filter that can replace MPEG filters, divx, xvid and so (not used if you use DivX, XviD and 3ivx)
SourceForge.net: ffdshow

Here you can find also the ffvfw codec :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Index of /
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a codec, but if you want to play Bink/Smacker video files this will do the trick:

http://k2.edskes.com/radgtsplitter.exe

Flash video - FLV playback (FLV1 and FLV4):
1) First install FLV splitter:
SourceForge.net: Guliverkli2: Downloading ...
THEN
2) install FLV decoder (NOT needed, if you already have FFDshow installed) ffdshow tryouts | Official Website

If you want to use FFDshow only for playback of FLV file, then uncheck all options in ffdshow properties>Codecs, OTHER than FLV1 (leave this checked) [added by Ico-man]

3gp AMR decoder: (most used video format in cell phones)

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/downlo....0.1.0_bin.zip

johnny 6th December 2003 12:12 PM

Re: List of codecs

Quote:

Originally Posted by adicoto

I get 4 files
qtmlClient.dll
QuickTime
QuickTimeEssentials
QuickTimeInternetExtras

where exactly do i place these files to get bsplayer play QT movies?

adicoto 6th December 2003 01:08 PM

I can't get yet to play qt files, but be patient. Keep those files in a separate folder. Once i figure out what to be done next I'll post that.

johnny 7th December 2003 03:33 PM

okay. thank you.

MickyFinn 8th December 2003 08:19 PM

MaxB recognized that Pietro is using XP as his OS, but I'm running that sad sack WinMillennium. Do I take the video and sound codec downloads to the system folder or the system32 folder? Me too scared to go any further without some help in getting ".ram" files to run, but the earlier discussion was done by the printed page and the value entered in start/run did load and was recognized. THANKS, BECAUSE THIS IS ONE HECK OF A PLAYER. MAKES ALL THE OTHERS LOOK LIKE MY UGLY BROTHER, and he is one real ugly sucker.
Would someone please help me with this situation?
MickyFinn

MaxB 9th December 2003 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickyFinn
MaxB recognized that Pietro is using XP as his OS, but I'm running that sad sack WinMillennium. Do I take the video and sound codec downloads to the system folder or the system32 folder?

You use folder system in Windows 9x/Me. Folder system32 is used in Windows 2000/XP.

I would also warn about using the proper terminology. BSPlayer, like other DirectShow players, does not use codecs to decode audio and video streams. DirectShow players use DirectShow filters, and codecs are used only if there is no required DirectShow filter installed (in this case, codecs are used through VfW wrapper). VfW stands for Video for Windows and this technology is used by video applications other than players - video editors and such (Premiere, VirtualDub...). So, adicoto, update your post and use proper terminology. Also add ffdShow to your DirectShow filters list.

MickyFinn 9th December 2003 09:18 PM

MaxB:
Thank you for the post, 'cause gearhead I aren't, and RAM ability is needed for some of the sites I surf.

GREAT SITE, PLAYER, AND FORUM.
MickyFinn, idiot newbie,

adicoto 9th December 2003 11:09 PM

To MaxB:
My post starts with IMHO. So, this is MY Humble Opinion, not yours. OK ?
Do you have any problem with that ?
I don't consider ffdshow as a requirement.

MaxB 10th December 2003 10:04 AM

Quote:

My post starts with IMHO. So, this is MY Humble Opinion, not yours. OK ?
Do you have any problem with that ?
I don't consider ffdshow as a requirement.

Have you seen how many views does your topic have? So it is fair to say that "your opinion" is an actual recomendation - you could just add ffdShow as an alternative to DivX, XviD and other filters. But, yet, it's your opinion so I won't tell you what to do - it's merely my suggestion. :)

But that part about using the term DirectShow filter instead of codec still applies - codecs are not needed for viewing, only for encoding or editing files. DirectShow filters are needed for viewing files and cannot be used for encoding or editing. Many people and even on-line or off-line (computer magazines) media don't realize that. Spread the word! ;)

adicoto 10th December 2003 02:20 PM

Yes, I know you are right about filters and VfW, but....
This is a support forum for BSPlayer, not for codecs, dvd ripping and so...
I don't think is realy needed to go so technical. Everybody have heard about codec, codecs, codecpacks and so on. On the main download pages you'll find codec writen all over the place. So, let's not confuse peoples. I started this topic so everybody can understand what is needed for bsplayer to run properly.
Second, you are also right about ffdshow, I used it once. But only once. And I recommend it for slow machines. So, if you realy want that to be writen here, here it goes:
FFdshow filter that can replace MPEG filters, divx, xvid and so:

a.j 10th December 2003 03:10 PM

Quote:

Yes, I know you are right about filters and VfW, but....
This is a support forum for BSPlayer, not for codecs, dvd ripping and so...
I don't think is realy needed to go so technical. Everybody have heard about codec, codecs, codecpacks and so on. On the main download pages you'll find codec writen all over the place. So, let's not confuse peoples. I started this topic so everybody can understand what is needed for bsplayer to run properly.
Second, you are also right about ffdshow, I used it once. But only once. And I recommend it for slow machines. So, if you realy want that to be writen here, here it goes:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761

hi if you say that ,i want to recommand the K-Lite Codec Pack which ,i think, is better than ffdshow.

adicoto 10th December 2003 04:06 PM

O, yes, I forgot one more thing:

Don't use codec packs !![/b]

MickyFinn 11th December 2003 05:39 AM

OKAY,
Got to the end of the post, but the question still stands: The files are in the SYSTEM rather than the SYSTEM32 folder, so what is the command line that should be entered at start/run????????

PLEASE ANSWER, 'cause running system commands without any understanding of what they can do---and this is ALL NEWBIE STUFF TO ME---scares the absolute heck out of me. I use this box for other things, and don't want to have to go through a long and complicated procedure to return it's stability because that is a real chore.
MickyFinn,

MickyFinn 11th December 2003 06:26 AM

This dialogue, for me, started at "Can't Play RM or RAM files, or
/viewtopic.php?t=3435 "&" /viewtopic.php?t=3300

I'm running RC1.build 803, having originally run bsplay100.800 (downloaded on 11/11/03, or 1.54Mgs--then).

On the previous missive, wrar 320.exe (eng. build) was used to open rp9win32codecs.tar.bz2.tar, which creates the same file name with the ".out" file ending extension. Opened, it carries all of the files that were put into the SYSTEM folder rather than the SYSTEM32 folder.

Do I need additional "audio or video files?" I have every Divx, Xvid, ad nauseum (SB Audigy Gamer card, and Matrox G550 w/32Mgs. DDR), but don't know how to present the DXDIAG text format that was saved to my desktop. Help on that, if it is needed for review of this box?

Please help.
MickyFinn,

MickyFinn 11th December 2003 07:44 AM

The RealMediaSplitter.ax, as a zip file, creates two separate folders one named release (288Kb) while the other is named release unicode (276Kb). The first was installed, creating the DllRegisterServer in realmediasplitter.ax succeeded. What am I supposed to do with the unicode folder?

Also, where are the RM audio and video files? Yeah, probably a dumb question, but having stated that this is all NEWBIE, you guys are really dealing with someone who is very uncomfortable dealing with this kind of thing.

PLEASE HELP, because I DO NOT WANT REALMEDIAPLAYER ON MY BOX. It, like WMP, contains a "report to poppa" buried inside, and always wants to get the latest version---which is really nonsense if things are working right. New is not always better: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.
THANKS TO WHOMEVER RESPONDS,
MickyFinn,

MickyFinn 12th December 2003 12:16 AM

returning to bsplay100.800, downloaded 11/11/03

The note above, subject, says it all.

GREAT PLAYER, FORUM IS CONFUSING TO A NEWBIE, and the recent attempts to send an attachment have failed; so, last post because I have other things to do with my life.

Adicoto sent me the command line for start/run, but it didn't work, so I am returning this 20G HD to the archive mirror made after the above was downloaded.

BST: If you want to post the RPM RANT, which was forwarded to you, you have my permission. Profiling software, which amounts to SPYWARE & INVASION OF PRIVACY, is not something I will allow on my box.

WISH ALL THE BEST OF LUCK.

MickyFinn,

thor 21st December 2003 01:56 PM

Quote:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=53761

In fact, this link is not so useless :) My BSPlayer started to play video on ASF files only after I installed this ffdshow thing :)
Thanks for the idea anyway *)

stuffie 22nd December 2003 04:19 PM

Quote:

Don't use codec packs !!

Why don't you offer all your suggested codecs as a codec pack?

djventilator 15th January 2004 04:41 PM

The Ram doesnt work on BS

i downloaded the (codec?) file into my BSPlayer folder... and i cant play .ram files?

WHELP???

adicoto 15th January 2004 06:39 PM

Register the splitter using the command
regsvr32 /s RealMediaSplitter.ax
And copy the dll's you get from the other link to your windows\system32 folder.

eli2k 16th January 2004 10:06 AM

Thanks - this is a great post. I'm always avoiding those codec packs since they always seem to install too much and screw up more than they fix. This one gives you all the codecs so you can load them individually. :)

djventilator 16th January 2004 10:18 AM

what is the splitter

and how do i do the rest of your suggestions?

thanx in advance

adicoto 16th January 2004 02:31 PM

What other sugestion ?

vortex 16th January 2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffie
Why don't you offer all your suggested codecs as a codec pack?

Codec packs become a hell when you're trying to update individual codecs or wipe them out entirely.

iron2000 23rd February 2004 06:25 AM

For Real and QT formats get Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Works real well here even WMP9 play those formats with them installed.

DragonFighter 21st April 2004 02:41 PM

@MickyFinn and @djventilator:
Install the real alternative codec and you are ok. 8)

trodas 7th May 2004 05:38 PM

Sorry, I never figured out how to play realplay files w/o having the blodcusking RealPlayer shit, that trying to associate with everyhing and become preffered player for everything, even my DVDs (!)...

I fear there is no solution that use this shit for these, who feeding us the RealPlay content... :roll: :oops:

To plus i should say that shorter clips are easy to join and that is a big advantage. w/o reencoding! :twisted:

Other advantage is, that the codec is optimizes for low-bitrates, so the quality is very good, or at least respectable - when no-brain user encoding, then the quality can be bad, but this happens for every codes on Earth - nothing is dumb-proof enough :lol: :P

Meow 31st December 2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Don't use codec packs !![/b]

Sorry, but your reasoning behind that is terribly flawed;
The k_lite codec pack includes ALL codecs you recommend, and it clearly lets you pick each and every one of them. Plus;
They have been tested thoroughly in any possible combination on a wide range of systems by an entire class of high-end power-users, much more people than you with your humble opinion alone. ;-)
I happen to know some who are behind the pack, they are good trustworthy people, they support the use of BSplayer, they work as perfectionist as one can be in the field of software releases. Therefore, I highly recommend using the k_lite codec pack.
Just be sure you have the right one, not a fake (where they demand registration or money):
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

They are also the ones behind QT and Real alternative packs, which are the best out there;
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

adicoto 1st January 2006 09:31 AM

Sorry, but noboty told you that the world is full of people with humble opinions ?
Let's see. YOu have a codec pack, nomatter what name. It includes some codecs, like DivX, XviD, AC3Filter, and so. The difference is that youhave one single installer that do all for you. When you use the installers you must install every single codec you need, isnt'it ? Big trouble. By the way, do you like to chew your food, or to let somebody else chew it for you and when is ready use it like this ?
I don't know any one working for codec packs, i don't know the ones behind BSPlayer. But I do know a lot of people who end up with messed computeres when using codec packs. That is still my humble opinion.

Tizio 1st January 2006 02:57 PM

@ Meow
There are people that do know what they are doing when installing codec packs, but the most do NOT know what they do, only install everything by thinking that the much = the better, but regarding codec packs this is wrong since they may conflict each other..

You can use codec packs (I used GordianKnot pack until few months ago), but for the mass it is better to not use them :wink:

speedtrap 1st January 2006 09:52 PM

I always recommend K-Lite to people when they cannot play some file. Nobody ever has any problems with it. It is very n00b friendly, so you can't do much damage, even if you select everything.

You can't judge something that you haven't even tried yourself.

Btw, this is a better site to get the codec pack:
http://www.codecguide.com

Tizio 2nd January 2006 11:46 AM

I don't judge K-lite codec pak, but codec packs in general + very noob users...
An expert (well.. even not too expert ;) ) user can use codec packs, even the worst one without having problems. I think too that K-lite CP is one of the better and well assembled codec paks, but even a so well made one (if used without consciousness) MAY lead to conflict problems :wink:

As I said I think that K-lite CP is one of the best CP out there :wink:

J7N 24th February 2006 10:30 AM

KLite before included (pirated?) Elecard MPEG2 Decoder v3.0, which was small, fast (compared to ffdshow) and easy to register. The link in the first post points to Elecard's download page with bloated 3 MB player. So K-Lite can be useful, but only if you have the skill to unpack it and take any needed codecs/filters.

adicoto 24th February 2006 07:44 PM

It is here and is 1.4 MB

http://www.elecard.com/products/prod.../mpeg2-decoder

I try to update from time to time the links used in my first post so they can point into the good direction. Sometimes the links don't work any more (like ON2 links I've tested last nite for example) but nobody complained about this so I am not aware of the broken links.

J7N 1st March 2006 11:15 AM

Fast MPEG2 (DVD) demultiplexer and video decoder:
Code:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14060589/elecard.rar.html
[442 kB]

mpeg2dmx.ax v2.0.84.30429 – MPEG2 stream demuxer
ac3filter.ax v1.0.1.0 – AC3/A52 audio decoder
mpgdec.ax v2.0.2525 – MPEG2 video decoder
pim2null.ax - not sure what it does, most likely it could be omited

I recommend decreasing the merit for mpeg2dmx.ax (Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer) to 0x600000, so the filter doesn't take over MPEG1 streams, Matroska's with MPEG2 inside and perhaps other types of files. I use GSpot to change merits. mpg2splt.ax is not needed anymore and should be unregistered.

H.264/AVC

CoreAVC Decoder v0.0.0.4
Code:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14413352/CoreAVCDecoder_0-0-0-4.rar.html
___
To install these filters run "regsvr32.exe <full_path_to_filter>"

adicoto 1st March 2006 03:10 PM

I think some of the files you point here are not freeware, nor shareware. Be careful.

J7N 1st March 2006 06:25 PM

In that case any talk about K-Lite must also be forbidden. The K-Lite team has assembled a good set of codecs (as you noted many of them are pirated), yet their distributon in the form of Nullsofted installer sucks big time. As we can see with WhenU, installers can do whatever they like to your computer.

adicoto 1st March 2006 09:42 PM

I was thinking to BSPlayer's team. You see how thin is the ice in here those days. Bettes prevent than cure.

Tizio 2nd March 2006 12:35 AM

Quote:

I was thinking to BSPlayer's team. You see how thin is the ice in here those days. Bettes prevent than cure.

Well said :wink:

adicoto 2nd March 2006 05:06 AM

What's that S doing there :evil: ?
I ment "Better" :oops: