Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/)
-   -   srt problems (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-reports-codecs/6020-srt-problems.html)

Shimekiri 22nd January 2005 09:55 PM

srt problems

I have many movies that will not display subtitles. I have BSPlayer pro v1.02, build 812.14.

I have tried multiple subtitles for these movies (Korean and Japanese) and none will play.

How can get the subs to play? Is there a program that can check the subs to make sure they are formatted correctly?

Thank you.

BSPeter 23rd January 2005 12:38 AM

It is not entirely clear to me what you mean.
Therefore I may be telling you "old news". In case I do, please don't shoot me.
A subrip (.srt) subtitle-file can be loaded manually after having loaded the video-file, by a right-click followed by selection of "Load subtitles" ...etc. (Most skins also have a button for this.)
However, if a subtitle-file is placed in the same folder as the movie-file and has the same name as the movie (except for the file-extension of course), you need not do so, as it will then load automatically (unless you've disabled subtitles under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles.
You could perhaps check if a file is correctly formatted by loading .srt file in a subtitle-utility like Vladimir's SubSync. Just run it; click on [..]-button at the right of the "subtitle"-box and in the window then opening change filetype from "SAMI files *.smi" to "SubRip files (*.srt)" and browse to your subtitle to Open it. Subsequently simply save it (change the filename to be sure).
You could perhaps also read this post to which I would add that you can e.g. create Ini/Bsi files (with multiple language subs) using HWMaker.
:wink:

Shimekiri 25th January 2005 08:04 AM

Thanks for responding Peter.

I'll use Spygirl as an example.

I have Spygirl CD1.avi and Spygirl CD1.srt in the same directory.

BSPlayer doesn't automatically play the subs for some reason.
It also doesn't play them when I choose them by Loading Subtitles.
It's a problem I have with half of my movies. Some movies run the subs with no problem.

I've downloaded Subsync. The Subsync player reads and displays the subs just fine. VLC does the same (but screws up the audio).

I just can't get the appropriate subs to display. I've checked the x/y positions, auto and manually positiioned them. etc... This isn't a problem I've had with BSPlayer and as it's my favorite media playing app I'd like to figure it out rather than use something else.

Thanks again for your help.

BSPeter 25th January 2005 09:01 PM

If subtitles are correctly loaded (either automatically or manually) most skins (control panel) will show the name of the subtitle-file.
E.g. with base-skin it should be shown just above "Movie size:".
(Edit: please note that the above info is no longer valid for version 2 base-skin)
If filename is shown there, BSPlayer has recognized it (and able to play).
Further: what is setting under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [Video rendering]
Try a different mode; e.g. no overlay or "Use overlay Mode 1".
Any difference?
Maybe you could check (with movie loaded) under
(rightclick >) Options > Filters > Advanced
what codec/filter is actually used to show your movie.
Is that different for the movies that do show subtitles compared to those that don't?

Shimekiri 25th January 2005 10:35 PM

Great info.

The ones that won't play subs are XViD. Every other one is DivX.

BSPeter 25th January 2005 10:49 PM

What happens if you let DivX codec also deal with XviD encoded movie ("Support Generic Mpeg-4" selected / See second part of item 4 of my Help2Help post)

Shimekiri 25th January 2005 11:42 PM

We have a winner.

I had to download the most current DivX and XviD codecs, then followed your suggestion and all the subs are playing perfectly with 'Support Generic Mpeg-4" selected.

Arigato gozaimasu and many humble thanks for your time and patience Peter. I'd write you a comment card if this was a restaraunt :P

BSPeter 26th January 2005 12:08 AM

(I don't think you actually needed XviD, because if you select "Support Generic Mpeg-4" under DivX's settings, the DivX codec will also decode XviD-encoded movies; you can check that in BSPlayer under "Filters" with an XviD movie loaded.)
However: Glad that it worked out (and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", or in other words: I would now leave it "as is").