Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 17th March 2007
BS.player Regular User

rseiler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When a Bsplayer crash messes up monitor DPMS (power-down)

I've seen this happen over the last few years using Bsplayer, so it's not specific to any particular version, but why is it that when it crashes (GPF's with an exception report) it also seems to take down DPMS?

The result is that your monitor disregards XP's "Turn off monitor after X minutes" setting (and sometimes even your screen saver--even if you're only using the "blank" one) until you reboot to clear the slate of whatever Bsplayer did to the video subsystem. Sometimes going into the power section and reapplying the setting works, but not often.

I assume this has something to do with Bsplayer's ties to the video subsystem (it being a video player, after all), but is there any way to avoid this?

I've seen this happen with a couple different video chips (Intel's built-in, a discrete ATI card) and a couple different monitors (one CRT, one LCD), so I don't think the equipment matters.
Old 5th April 2007
BS.player Regular User

rseiler is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't be the only one seeing this.
Old 9th June 2008
BS.Player Newbie

nfxs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

In Windows XP (SP3) if i go to "Control Panel / Power Options" and then change the "Turn off monitor" setting and click apply, i don't have the problem.
But if then i watch a movie, or only play any video for a few seconds with BSPlayer 2.28 Pro Build 964 , then close the player, i have the following error:

After the "Turn off monitor time", the monitor turns off, but just for 1 second, the it turns on again, and after another "Turn off monitor time" the same thing, over and over, it never stays off.

How do i solve the problem today? I go to the Power Options, change it, click apply and then the monitor stays off after the "Turn off monitor time".

But if I use BSPlayer, again the same story.

Something i noticed is, that if i just run bsplayer but do not play any video, i dont have the problem. I only get it if i play any video, even if i play it just for a few seconds.

I would very much like this problem solved, because my PC stays on 24-7. And sometimes i forget to go to the Power Options. So the monitor stays on all day too, even if no one is using it.

Thanks
Regards
nfxs

PC Info:
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2200
4GB DDR2, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (latest drivers)

Tags
crash, dpms, messes, monitor