Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

E-M@iLinAtoR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very weird Vista x64 Bugs, plz help!

I'm using BS Player since beta times and I am an IT-professional, but this is a problem I can't even explain :shock:, need some help, plz!

I was using a BS Player version 2 or 3 builds older than the 2.23.953 free as the problem appeared first (but the exact version doesn't matter anyway, i tried all builds i could find via file sharing programs, always the same, i even tried hacked Pro versions to see if it's only a free version matter). No worries, hacked version already deleted !

I get the error..:

BSplayer v2.23.953, Unhandled exception at EIP: 6A5516C6
If you click 'Close' application will be terminated.
Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
If you have internet connection, it's recommended to send error report, this will help us solve problems faster.
Access violation at address 6A5516C6 in module 'quartz.dll'. Write of address 6A5516C6
EAccessViolation
Call stack: 00000000,6A5516C6,0040496B,00522E5C,00548D3B,00451 B98,00473D10,00476C5B,00476D93,00476C5B,004768D8,0 0428454,00476D3F,00473D10,00476C5B,00428454,00493A FB,005DDF05

..which i read about in here in a few different threads.
But mine is different, it appears on opening any file type you can think of AND even when i simply click on Preferences-->Audio, with no file opened :!: :?:

Then I tried all solutions provided in all related forums i could find in the www. (f.ex. re-register quartz.dll, uninstall all codecs/filters (even audio ones) with registry cleanup afterwards to be sure nothing is left unregister&delete all related .ax also, install Haali splitter, using internal AVI splitter, tried around 50 different decoder combinations, with all revisions and builds i could find and some "solutions" i can't remeber anymore).
All the time every media player (windows media, powerdvd, windvd, divxplayer...) had no problems with any type of video file divx/xvid,mpeg 1&2, asf,wmv... only my favorite: BS Player :evil: -->no success

I downgraded BS Player till version 1.36.825 and suddenly SUCCESS :) .
Everything works fine, superb like always. (btw. there was some progress till that build, the old small bugs re-appeared, just annoying little stuff, not to mention here...)
UNTIL last week. I opened a .wmv file what caused a full system freeze :shock: (never happened in any situation before with my vista 64, had to reset). So I chkdsked all hdd after reset, no problems, RAMtest, StressPrime, no problems, my system is fine. The Video file opens with all other players, so it wasn't the file causing that.
Now if i simply launch bsplayer, full freeze again, maybe bsplayer.exe got corrupted? So I tried uninstalling BSplayer 1.36.825 --> FREEZE again (WHAT? :shock: ) never saw something like that in my 30 years of computer life. Ok ... manual delete of BSPlayer Folder and remove of all registry keys related (classes too), i left no traces of bsplayer in registry, no settings .xml file (i used "in Bsplayer Folder setting" but also in user folder, no settings .xml file = a full BS Player free system.
Retry: install BSplayer 1.36.825. Guess what happens now: FREEZE during install while copying files (Super-WHAT? :shock: :shock: ). Never saw something like that before.

Now I'm on trying installing BSplayer 1.36.825 on another system running Process Monitor (=vista version of RegMon) to find out what registry changes are done I could have forgotten to delete before reinstall (if there are any, help to this would be apreciated). Or can it be something else? (even flushed all driver / MRU / Prefetch caches).

Summary Questions:
- What registry entries are done by BSplayer 1.36.825 installer?
- Are there any Ressources added?
- Is there another working solution for the EIP: 6A5516C6 error than then ones I tried?
- What the heck is this, am I crazy, shouldn't I have eaten those hawaiian mushrooms?
- Is the universe infinite? :lol:

Thanks in advance
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Very weird Vista x64 Bugs, plz help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-M@iLinAtoR
Summary Questions:
- What registry entries are done by BSplayer 1.36.825 installer?
- Are there any Ressources added?
- Is there another working solution for the EIP: 6A5516C6 error than then ones I tried?
- What the heck is this, am I crazy, shouldn't I have eaten those hawaiian mushrooms?
- Is the universe infinite? :lol:

Thanks in advance
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow, thank you for the info you provided.... If also other users provided these info and tried all those solutions it would had be a more simple task to reply to all of them.. :)

- No registry keys except for CLASSES, Uninstall, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BST\bsplayerv1 entry keys
- No resources added (BSplayer came also in ZIP format, you could just extract it to a folder and run it without problems)
- You did exact the same steps I would have done in a similar situation.... I'm sorry, but without a direct access to your PC there is nothing I can think to do again..
- You should had mentioned it before :lol:
- Which one?

Have you already tried to: reinstall drivers (no solution I suppose), install latest directx (no solution I suppose), format Windows (I bet on this last one ;) )?? :P
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Main differences between the othe players and BSPlayer it's that BSPlayer uses overlay, the others don't.
Have you done some modifications regarding video drivers, Aero settings or installed Nero products meanwhile ?
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

OMFFFG, SUCCESS :D :D :D :D

Thanks a lot for this very simple but effective Tip Tizio: install latest directx! http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

:lol: LMAO. I tried everything possible as desribed, but somehow I thought since directx 10 is implemented in Vista it gets automatically updated by windows update or something.

Great, I'm back on BSPlayer!

Btw, the problem was the same with all versions of ATI Catalyst Drivers, or even without any driver installed (windows default).

@adicoto
The problem was always the same no matter which rendering mode I select.
with Overlay, aero gets automatically disabled, but no difference.
I had Nero 7 & 8 installed, tried removing it and checked with Gspot if all the Filters were gone, but it didn't change anything.

OK,
while typing this I found out that if I close BSPlayer (now latest free 2.24.954) after first launch when installed and reopen I get the exact same quartz.dll problem. :x If I delete settings file (in install folder) it works again. But as soon as I launch BSplayer with an existing settings BSplayer.xml File the problem exists, I made no changes to the settings yet, default.

So it's dependant on directX, or maybe directX setup set something free.
But how can it be, that if I go to preferences-->Audio I get the same error as opening a video File? btw. Audio Files always work fine!

So for now I made a batch file, deleting settings .xml before BSPlayer launch, which is a little anoying, since I don't like the default settings, but at least I see something :-)

hmm....I'm not sure if I tried playing a file at first launch before, so maybe it's no difference yet, not sure if directx changed something.

What Can I try next?
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Quote:
What Can I try next?
Install in safe mode or....my last suggestion....

Code:
FORMAT C:
:(
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Don't wanna format, like a week of work to get it back to this state.
U mean boot windows in safe mode & install there?
U think it's worth trying to change to "user directory settings file" instead of in BS Folder?
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Don't wanna format, like a week of work to get it back to this state.
U mean boot windows in safe mode & install there?
U think it's worth trying to change to "user directory settings file" instead of in BS Folder?
This last is recommended for Vista due to UAC and other limitations introduced in this new OS by Microsoft...
The OS may prevent BSplayer.exe to save/edit the BSplayer.xml file there and it may lead to a crash in the player...
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

As a computer literate I am sure he disabled UAC in the first minute after installing Vista.

LE: wich skin do you use ?
Old 5th November 2007
BS.Player Master

I disabled it too when I tried Vista, but some actions got blocked anyway (if I remember right...)
Old 6th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Yeah vista sucks a bit in some cases (hdd activity even with readyboost, many sidebar bugs, damn driver signing which you can't deactivate anymore since KB932596 :evil: :evil: :evil: ). Not nice for C++ developers like me.

Yes actually disabling UAC and security center was the very first modification I did after install, maybe 50 seconds afterwards :lol:

I was using the good ol BSPlayer.v1 skin since I know BSPlayer (got very used to it). Actually I hide main window in most cases anyway and use the beautiful fully customizable shortcuts, one main reason for using BSplayer.
But for know I "must" use default base skin.

I will play around with settings file location and maybe try using a 1.xx settings file with 2.xx player today (will that work?, good idea?) and post my results then.

Thanks very much for supporting dudes
Old 12th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Ok, I'm back on this (was on a business trip...).

I found out that the settings file if v1 or v2 Player version doesn't change a thing with this message. Oh, btw. it is a new one now, which changed after the directX update if i remember right:

BSplayer v2.24.954, Unhandled exception at EIP: 708A16C6
If you click 'Close' application will be terminated.
Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
If you have internet connection, it's recommended to send error report, this will help us solve problems faster.
Access violation at address 708A16C6 in module 'quartz.dll'. Write of address 708A16C6
EAccessViolation
Call stack: 00000000,708A16C6,00404943,005AA367,005AD13A,00571 C90,0056DD6A,00473BDC,00476B27,004767A4,004283AC,0 04939C7,005C1595

I gave up on getting v2.24.954 running.
Back at v1.36.825 i found out that if i clean all BSPlayer files on disk (uninstall v2, cleanup registry & system folders) and simply copy BSPlayer.exe to an empty directory (in program files) it freezes a millisecond after launch (it is not corrupted, copied from a running version (1.36) on another PC).
I fully unistalled Antivirus (AVG), same.
It is soo much work to understand everything happening with "Process Monitor", but I guess I have no other choice for now.

Any suggestions where to search to get this freeze solved?

Btw, I upgraded my motherboard for some other reasons, didn't change a thing with BSPlayer. While doing this there was a state where I had Graphics driver & all motherboard drivers deinstalled, perfect point for a new test with BSPlayer, same issues.
Old 12th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Welcome back again!

If you uninstalled your antivirus I doubt it's the exe-packer that slows down BSplayer startup, but you can try to unpack it (I'm pretty sure you'll easily find which packer has been used for v1.36)
Old 12th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

@Tizio:
It's not packed in any way. I take the BSPlayer.exe from an installed BSPlayer folder, not the installer package. And it doesn't slows down, it locks up the system (f.ex. no more hdd activity or anything) I have to reset then.
It's something like that BSPlayer.exe accesses something at startup what it doesn't like and immedeatly freezes there for an unknown reason.
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Ok Tizio, you were absolutely right on that!
The installed BSPlayer.exe from v1 is packed with tElock. After unpacking it with untelock.exe it worked like a charm! :D :D :D

Thanks alot, I'm back to BS Player 1.xx! :lol: :lol:

Great, i'll wait a few builds (maybe till v3) to retry if the newer BSplayer works again, but I'm very OK with 1.36, as long as it works
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Master

:D All's well that ends well

Tags
plz, vista, weird, x64