Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

bsfang is an unknown quantity at this point
Question black video in win7 64 with overlay mixer

hi all,

i am using the bsplayer 2.62 b1068 in a win7 64bit system. i like the desktop mode of bsplayer(one of the reasons that i choose bs as the default player), so i set the overlay mixer mode and disable the aero in win7. i let the bsplayer auto install some codec by itself. ffdshow 1.07.3135, haali media splitter and real media splitter, and let the ffdshow handles almost everything that it said could be decoded. i am using a intel i5 cpu and update the latest HD2500 driver. well, that's about my settings.

i tried some mp4 and H264 files. bsplayer plays them very well and the desktop mode is also working. but with DX50, xvid or some other files, bsplayer just show a all black video window on screen. the ffdshow icon did show up in the system tray, so it did recognize the codec. but it just play nothing but a black window.

however, if i change to VRM or EVR mode, those files plays well again. but the desktop mode is gone, of course.

i really don't know what is the problem here. can someone help me or just tell what is the possible reason that bsplayer can't use ffdshow to play some files in overlay mixer mode. so at least i'll have some direction to debug.

i really miss the desktop mode in XP....

ps. english is not my native language, so please bear with me. thank you very much.
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Try the internal renderer (default).
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
Try the internal renderer (default).
thank you for the quick reply.
when i change to the default internal renderer, a "ActiveMovie Window"(that's the title) show up and play the video ok.

but it's not boarder-less and can't even go fullscreen. the desktop mode is also off.
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Master

Swich back to EVR, play the file and post here which filters are used to decode the files (right click -> options -> filters -> advanced). Active movie window can show up due to a filter problem (mainconcept, Nero...) or a video driver problem. Let's see which is.
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Swich back to EVR, play the file and post here which filters are used to decode the files (right click -> options -> filters -> advanced). Active movie window can show up due to a filter problem (mainconcept, Nero...) or a video driver problem. Let's see which is.
thank you for the reply

in EVR mode, the filter is "ffdshow vedio decoder" the ffdshow icon is in the system tray. i can right click the icon and open the ffdshow menu.
according to the icon, the input:"DX50(libavcodec mpeg4)" output:"YV12,adj"

in overlay mixer mode, the filter is all the same. i can also access the ffdshow icon in the system tray. but the video is just a black window.
according to the icon, the input:"DX50(libavcodec mpeg4)" output:"YV12,adj,VU"

in default mode, the filter is also the same. the ffdshow icon also shows the same info as in the overlay mixer mode. bsplayer will pop up a warning said it's "unknown file format(DIVX)" and plays the file in an ugly "activemovie window" after clicking ok.

the ffdshow decoder is installed by bsplayer itself.

hope these information will help....
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

an update of my situation...

i uninstall the ffdshow by the codecmanager.exe in the bsplayer folder. and the overlay mixer mode seems to work again. the video plays correctly and the desktop mode is also working.
the default mode also plays the video well, but no desktop mode.

the filter now is "Mpeg4s Decoder DMO"
is it the win7 built-in decoder?

well, it solved part of the problem... i can play files in desktop mode again(overlay mixer).
but i like ffdshow decoder. it has more options and the quality is better.

so the ffdshow can't work with bsplayer anymore? and it's installed by bsplayer itself... that's very strange.

does anyone know what might cause this strange situation?
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Master

In this situation, you still must install ffdshow, as H264 and especially x264 files won't play anymore.
I suggest installing a newer build from free-codecs.com
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
In this situation, you still must install ffdshow, as H264 and especially x264 files won't play anymore.
I suggest installing a newer build from free-codecs.com
yes, i soon notice that H264 file now give me a black window... :(

i've tried to install a different build of ffdshow.the situation remain the same.

if i install ffdshow, i could play H264 file in overlay mixer. but most of the other files will become a black window.

if i don't install ffdshow, the H264 file become all black. and the other files seems to be ok if the "mpeg4 decoder DMO" could decode it. but the quality is not ok....

the EVR mode seems to be ok with any kind of settings, but it won't support desktop mode.
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Master

Could you try to re-register quartz.dll ?
At this point I have no other clue about, as my BSPlayer (1069b) doesn't seem to have desktop mode available and I can't test it .
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Could you try to re-register quartz.dll ?
At this point I have no other clue about, as my BSPlayer (1069b) doesn't seem to have desktop mode available and I can't test it .
can you tell me what is quartz.dll ?
and how do i re-register it?
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Master

Quartz.dll is the core of DirectShow (which is responsible with multimedia playback), part of DirectX.
As for re-registering:

BSplayer plays video, no sound at all, reinstalling doesnt help.

Codec finding Error

quartz.dll replace or re-register safely?
Old 3rd October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Quartz.dll is the core of DirectShow (which is responsible with multimedia playback), part of DirectX.
As for re-registering:

BSplayer plays video, no sound at all, reinstalling doesnt help.

Codec finding Error

quartz.dll replace or re-register safely?
well, i hope i follow it right...

i run this command in "regsvr32 quartz.dll" in win7 and it said something successfully (it's not english, so i don't type it down here)

but the problem remain...
Old 11th October 2012
BS.Player Newbie

update about my problem...

after some trial and error, i somehow find a way make the overlay mixer mode work in win7 64.

i disable the YUY2 color space in ffdshow. and all the files seems to play properly and the desktop mode also works fine. no more strange black window....

although it seems solved, it's till very strange. i don't think bsplayer can't support YUY2 color space. i also tested some other media players like KMPlayer in my win7. the YUY2 color space seems to be ok with other media players... so, i really don't know what is the problem here.

oh, and running bsplayer in desktop mode in win7 is not as stable as in my old XP system. play video files in desktop mode for a while, the windows explore(the one that give you the taskbar) will shutdown and re-start. the OSD in bsplayer will show up in wrong spot. and bsplayer itself will somehow become slow if i keep in desktop mode for a long time.

i don't know is it related to the lack of YUY2 color space. or something else might be wrong.

well, that's all for now. it's kind solved, but i am not satisfied. i leave the information here just in case someone had the same situation...

thank you for all the kind people who reply to my question. and again, sorry for my poor english. :)

Tags
black, mixer, overlay, video, win7