Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2004
Evelyn
BS.Guest

Default Trouble Playing Movie

I am trying to play my X-Men dvd and it won't play saying that Direct Show is not installed.....what is that and where can I get it? :?
Old 23rd February 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=4676#4676
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th March 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Evelyn is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but do I download all those codecs? Which one is direct show?
Old 10th March 2004
BS.Player Power User

Quietseb is an unknown quantity at this point

is "directshow is not installed" the exact message ? or more like "a directshow codec is needed" ?

in order to play a dvd you would need an mpeg2 codec (or at least a decoder) as adicoto suggests in the thread pointed by BSPeter. The Elecard decoder suggested by adicoto is a DirectShow filter. (you only need that one from adicoto's list, no need to download every codec in his list)

DirectShow in itself is not a codec, it is an (I may not be completely exact here) architecture, a thing that manages filters so they can work together.
Each directShow filter has inputs and outputs; directShow decides what filter should be used where and how the inputs/outputs of the filters are connected.
There is a tool called graphedit with which you can see it in detail (and even tell directShow how to behave)

As far as I know DirectShow is part of windows; if your DirectShow is broken you can try to reinstall directX from microsoft.com but I doubt this is the case

hope my paragraphs are readable
;)

Tags
movie, playing, trouble