Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Lea724 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving forward just a smidge

Hi,

I downloaded BSPlayer because of a recommendation from a friend, but I'm finding that the one thing I'm really looking for in a player seems to be missing here.

When I watch files through BSPlayer, I want to be able to move the movie either forward or backward by just a frame or two, not in the leaps and bounds that most players offer you. I don't know if that made much sense, but I hope that somebody will understand what I'm trying to say.

Does BSPlayer have that option? Whenever I try to move the movie forward or backward by just a little bit, the blue scroll bar that shows how far the movie's gone is too little for me to fine tune it with the mouse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Amanda
Old 26th June 2004
BS.player Regular User

Telstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Media Player Classic v6.4.8.2.....

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

Telstar :)
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Pause (spacebar) and subsequently use arrow-keys right or left.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar
Try Media Player Classic v6.4.8.2.....

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

Amanda
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I *knew* there had to be something that simple. Does that technique work with any player?

Thank you again!

Amanda
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

No, just with the magnificent BSPlayer.
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
No, just with the magnificent BSPlayer.

Thanks again!

Amanda
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Master

Glad I've been able to help you!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 26th June 2004
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
BSPeter,
This is a new and welcomed development for me. I was never before aware of this feature.
If I had been, I would not have found it necessary to promote that "other" player I mentioned.

Where, oh where, is this indicated in BS Player Preferences, options, or in any other instructions or list of it's features? :?:
I, for one, sure missed it!
I'd like to know how I missed it because it's a useful feature that I think most users of BSPlayer .809 would be interested in and should have been high on the list of features that an inquiring, potential downloader of the BSPlayer should be made aware of.

Thank you,
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar
This is a new and welcomed development for me. I was never before aware of this feature.
This feature has been there for as long as I can remember. OK, you could perhaps have found it under "Key definitions & WinLIRC" (Seek forward resp. backward), but even then you would probably not have thought of the fact that that feature can also be used to step through frames one by one! I agree BSPlayer could do with a good manual which would show and explain all its really numerous features. But - of course - BSPlayer (as good and complete as it seems and really already is) is still under continuous development and that's where the focus lies of the efforts of BSPlayer's (primary or even only?) creator bst. It's in the absence of a manual that this forum, where users can help other (newer) users, surely proves its value!

(By the way it's my experience. that manuals are not read anyhow)
Old 26th June 2004
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I surely agree with you 100 %
But who knows, maybe one day....
Old 26th June 2004
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
"....you could perhaps have found it under "Key definitions & WinLIRC" (Seek forward resp. backward), but even then you would probably not have thought of the fact that that feature can also be used to step through frames one by one!....It's in the absence of a manual that this forum, where users can help other (newer) users, surely proves its value!

An interesting challenge for bst in that speaking for myself as a casual user who would only have reviewed the list
as shown in.....Main Features....
would not have made the connection to this frame "stepping" action as you point out and would find it's mention as presented in the format you indicate rather obscure.

I have a feeling that more than a few readers of this Thread will have become enlightened by this revelation and will begin to use and enjoy this feature. Others, more technically advanced and savvy than myself, would have already been aware of it.

Within the list of Features something included like the following might have brought this more easily to my attention....

Forward and reverse single frame stepping action
(or something to that affect).

On the other point....
Quote:
It's in the absence of a manual that this forum, where users can help other (newer) users, surely proves its value!
Indeed. The value of the BSPlayer Forum has been proven here.
A better example to answer questions and educate those seeking knowledge to more fully use the functions of the BS Player could not have been made.

Cheers!
Telstar :D
Old 10th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
The first few times I did that, it worked fine, but now I find that it only works when I pause it and then use the right arrow key to move forward, but it no longer works when I use the left arrow key.

Does anybody know why that might be? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Function 5 is an unknown quantity at this point

A nice little splash screen introducing some of the more "hidden" features when you run Bsplayer the first time would be nice. I mean anyone knows what the load/eject button does, but features such as this are harder to find. Maybe a simple list of keyboard shortcuts would do. I, for one, did not know this was possible.

EDIT: double post
Old 15th July 2004
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

@Lea724
There are some limitations/bugs regarding frame skipping...
Thake a look at this post:
http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=14886#14886

cheers!!
Old 15th July 2004
BS.player Regular User

Anthony2816 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I seem to be missing something here. When I play a movie and hit the spacebar, it pauses. But when I the left and right arrow keys, it doesn't jump a single frame. It jumps about 10 seconds. What am I doing wrong?
Old 15th July 2004
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2816
I seem to be missing something here. When I play a movie and hit the spacebar, it pauses. But when I the left and right arrow keys, it doesn't jump a single frame. It jumps about 10 seconds. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe your arrow keys are setted to Jump Foreward/Backward instead Skip.
Try to go under "Options->Preferences->KeyDefinitions&WinLIRC" and check the keys assigned to "Seek Foreward" and "Seek Bacward". Assign to them your arrow keys and use other keys for Jump function..

Bye! :D
Old 17th July 2004
BS.player Regular User

Anthony2816 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony2816
Maybe your arrow keys are setted to Jump Foreward/Backward instead Skip.
Try to go under "Options->Preferences->KeyDefinitions&WinLIRC" and check the keys assigned to "Seek Foreward" and "Seek Bacward". Assign to them your arrow keys and use other keys for Jump function..

Bye! :D
Yup. That was the problem. I assigned "<" and ">" to "Seek Backward" and "Seek Forward", and all is rosy.

Tags
forward, moving, smidge