Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 27th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

meriadoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default problem with the video playback

i have been having some problems with bsplayer lately. i get audio when opening a file, but i can't seem to get video. i have been reading the other threads about similar problems (most of them recommending to either check directx- i have version 9.0b - or the codec - i have xvid 5.2 - or use an older version of bsplayer) but can't seem to find anything that will help.
i haven't downloaded the old version of bsplayer, mainly because i remember using the same bsplayer version i have installed right now (v.1.00 (build 810)) on this very same computer.
i have an ATI Radeon 7000 and a fairly fast pc (i'll have to get back to you on that one, as soon as i checl some paperwork, 'cause i seem to have forgotten the exact specs...)

hope you can help...
Old 27th August 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

(XviD 5.2 ?? or rather DivX5.2 ?)
http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=15627#15627
(What codec is used to create the video-file? (You can check with GSpot; see item 2 of my Help-to-help post)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 27th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

divx, xvid... hehehe... you know what i'm talking about... :-P

according to gspot, the video file (Wallace & Gromitt - The Wrong Trousers.avi) was coded with div3. but i doubt that will be a solution, since i'm having this problem with every single video file i can get my hands on.

i'm not that desperate, though, since i can still use VLCPlayer (www.videolan.org) to watch my videos. but i hate when things that shouldn't happen, happen. specially when they happen to me. and particularly when they happen without me knowing why they did.

cheers
Old 27th August 2004
BS.Player Master

Please check under
[Start] > Programs > DivX > DivX Codec > Decoder Configuration Utility > Quality Settings
Is "Support Generic Mpeg-4" checked/selected?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 1st September 2004
BS.Player Newbie

yup, it's checked (sorry to keep you waiting, but with my classes and all i just can't log on as often as i would like).
i don't know if this helps, but a few days before i posted, when i tried to play video files, the message "cannot create direct draw object" (or something like it) appeared on screen. bsplayer didn't even start.
however, according to dxdiag, direct draw is working perfectly...

i'm lost...
Old 1st September 2004
BS.Player Newbie

ok, if everything i said sounded strange, then this is just ridiculous...

right after posting the last message, i read a similar thread started by another guy (i fogot the name) who had a similar problem with dicrect draw). i checked my video rendering settings on bsplayer and changed it from overlay mode 1 to vrm-9, and it said that it couldn't use it because i needed a newe version (9.x) of directX, even though i have 9.0b!
i tried different settings, and when i got to overlay mode 2, and chose to play it on fullscreen, the movie ran perfectly (just as bsplayer always did).
checking if everything was actually ok, i deselected fullscreen and it kept running (yay!), but when i pressed "stop", not only did it stop, but my whole computer just went dead.
after i restarted it, i tried it again (overlay mode 2) and nothing. fullscreen, an nothing. overlay mode 1, nothing. and when i selected vrm-9, no warning message appeared (although it didn't work either).

i'll restart, try again, and get back to you.
Old 1st September 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Default welcome to... the twilight zone...

really, this is just plain insane.
i restarted my pc, and when i tried to play a video file (the same i have always tried lately) it said that bsplayer didn't recognize the format (div3)!

i restarted bsplayer and tried again. the video played perfectly (!), until it hit me: there was no sound!

the thing is, i now have video playback, but absolutely no sound whatsoever. i tried reading threads about similar problems (as if...) but after going through all the combinations of output device for sound, and making sure, through gspot and other video players, that my system CAN read the sound of the files bsplayer can't, i am lost all over again.

i REALLY hope you can help...
Old 1st September 2004
BS.Player Master

div3? Perhaps see this post
no sound? Have a look here
Old 2nd September 2004
BS.Player Newbie

well...
the fact that bsplayer said that it couldn't play div3 files was weird because it has the latest divx codec instyalled, and the mpeg layer 4 option checked.
however, i'm sure you will all be pleased to hear that, after leaving my computer turned off for the whole day, and returning to it tonight, bsplayer worked as perfectly as it always did.
sound, picture, it does not give me any problem whatsoever.

even though nothing posted here directly worked, apparently my pc took notice on the effort and gave up with all the working-funny routnie. thanks for reading and the attention, and i'll be sure to write again if any further problems arise.

bsplayer: the best video player there is.
vlc: number two (but - oh boy! - what a number two!)

Tags
playback, video