Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

I NEED HELP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you get .avi files to play in BSPlayer please?

Everytime I play an .avi in it I get the sound but the screen is just black.

GSpot tells me the file needs the Xvid codec to watch it, but I have Xvid installed, and the file works in other players so I know it's not corrupted.

What's the deal?
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Could be the video-file was encoded with a newer XviD codec, than the one installed on your PC and used to decode.
So I would check if a newer version is available.
(Perhaps also read second part of item 4 of my Help2Help-post (link at bottom))

If that doesn't work please mention what is mentioned under
(rightclick >) Options > Filters > Advanced
concerning Video-playback as well as what "other player(s)" do show it.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Ok, I have the latest Xvid installed, because I installed it about an hour ago. Read that bit of your help but it hasn't helped, sorry. I can't find any "Support Generic Mpeg-4" box to uncheck in my divx codec. When I right click > options > filters > advanced, I get the following in the left box:

Default DirectSound Device
EQ
DivX Decoder Filter
AVI Splitter
Source
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by I NEED HELP
when I right click > options > filters in BSPlayer, I click on filters and nothing happens. Nada. Zilch.
You need to have the video-file loaded.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

lol yeah I just realised that.

I edited my previous post for you.
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

OMG OMG OMG nevermind I've sorted it now. I unchecked the mp4v box in my xvid decoders FourCC support bit. It doesn't exactly tell you that in your help2help thing. It does kinda put you on the right track though.

but yeah, sweet, it works now :)

Nope, it's all gone pear shaped again. :x
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

OK, OK, OK. This is weird.

It works, but not when you drag and drop a file into BSplayer.

If I drag and drop the file into it, it plays the sound, but the screen is black.

However, if I press stop on the player, and then press play, it plays the file fine.

So yes, it's working, but not when you drag and drop.

Why's that happening?
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

If (with video file loaded) under Options > Filters > Advanced now still showing "DivX Decoder Filter", you can reach its "Quality settings" window through there by clicking on the [+] in front of it and then selecting "Quality settings".
If "Support Generic Mpeg-4" is checked, uncheck it.
Exit BSPlayer and retry. (Dont't think you need to restart your PC)
Check (under filters) if BSPlayer is now using XviD-codec.
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

Both DivX-codec as well as XviD-codec can play either DivX and/or XviD encoded movie-files.
If both are installed, you must tell them what to do.
E.g. To arrange that DivX codec isn't used for XviD, you must uncheck/deselect "Support Generic Mpeg-4" on DivX-codec's "Quality Settings" (Default path: [Start] "Programs"/"DivX"/"DivX codec"/"Decoder configuration Utility").
Similarly to prevent XviD codec to play DivX-encoded movies, you should deselect "Decode all supported FourCCs (DivX, DX50, MP4V)" during XviD's installation (or thereafter).
(I personally mostly use Div-X codec with "Support Generic Mpeg-4" selected.)
With a video file loaded, BSPlayer will show under "Options"/"Filters"/(Advanced) what codecs/filters it uses.
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Ahhh, yes, it's working when I drag and drop it now. Sweet. It does work though with that box checked, you just have to stop the file then press play to start it again to get it to work after drag and dropping.

That's what threw me you see.

But yeah, it all works fine now. Thanks for the help :P
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

You're welcome!
Always glad if something works out eventually.

Tags
avi, play