Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th March 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Soma36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japanese subtitles- BS-wrong way around!!! help

I have the latest version of BS Player Pro and have a couple of movies I want to watch with the wife that probably need some Japanese help. So I downloaded a couple of srt files for Japanese and between VLC and BS Player the best I could do was BS Player, but, after changing the font on the srt files within BS, the Japanese characters are displayed literally on their side!!! Strange thing is, when I alter the font outside of BS player, notepad recognizes the Japanese characters the right way around. I have also converted using subtitle workshop into other formats other than srt and while when I open the files themselves they display the correct Japanese, BS player does not seem to recognize anything but the weird upside down Japanese subs.

Perhaps these subs were designed to be watched vertically, but I have downloaded a couple of subs from different places, and given that Japanese themselves do not often watch subbed movies in this fashion, it would be odd that the reason for the problem is because of an intended vertical coding. And besides when I open up the srt files, there is not any coding that suggests that is the case.

So, can any one help me either turn the subs the right way up horizontally, or, if need be, vertically.

As for my specs, I have a Pentium M processor, my graphics card is fine (it displays sub/idx Japanese files perfectly) I have the East Asian language pack installed, everything else Japanse works fine, just within BS Player the Japanese fonts are displayed on their side!

thanks in advance, if anything can be done to help me!!!
Old 18th March 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Japanese subtitles- BS-wrong way around!!! help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma36
after changing the font on the srt files within BS, the Japanese characters are displayed literally on their side!!!
When you changed font, did you also select Japanese script?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 19th March 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Default Re: Japanese subtitles- BS-wrong way around!!! help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma36
after changing the font on the srt files within BS, the Japanese characters are displayed literally on their side!!!
When you changed font, did you also select Japanese script?
Yes definitely. That is how I am guessing it is in an issue with BS. When changing the font in notepad the Japanese characters are displayed correctly in the font window. But when I use the BS font window changing to Japanese script from Western script BS displays them on their side. Very odd. Its not that they are upside down, but literally on their side like an A fallen over. Is this just an internal issue for BS with Japanese srt files? sub/idx ones work fine with BS and VLC but the most success I have had with other subtitles is getting to the sitting on their side stage I have with BS Player.
Old 20th March 2007
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

Please give us the sample of this subtitles.

Thank you
Old 26th March 2007
BS.Player Newbie

At the risk of looking like I am bumping this thread, I have another japanese .srt file that does exactly the same thing with BS Player Pro 2.1. Now, to BS Players credit, the .srt/BS Player combo is the closest I have gotten to displaying Japanese subtitles of this sort correctly. I wonder if anyone knows of any patches to fix this. I have a large need for this, as wife is Japanese, and while we can communicate in either language, it sucks to not be able to watch a movie comfortably!
Old 26th March 2007
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

We received the subtitles. We will try to include the fix in next release due sometime today.

Take care.
Old 26th March 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-man
We received the subtitles. We will try to include the fix in next release due sometime today.

Take care.
Many kind thanks. I will look forward to the release.
Old 26th March 2007
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Do you have selected Japanese language in you Windows?
Try adding a Japanese language in Windows, and switching your keyboard to Japanese when watching these videos.
Old 26th March 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-man
Do you have selected Japanese language in you Windows?
Try adding a Japanese language in Windows, and switching your keyboard to Japanese when watching these videos.
The east asian languages pack is always selected in Windows, including all of the Japanese options, and I often toggle between Japanese and English keyboards for work purposes. However, to be sure I tried to run the same thing, with the Japanese keyboard enabled, and even tried once with Microsoft IME Standard input keyboard with the hiragana icon selected also (unlikely that would have made a difference I think, but I tried it) but the same result.

The Japanese script is displayed, it is just on its side

:oops:
Old 27th March 2007
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Can you send us a screenshot (picture) of this incorrect display of subs containing Japanese characters?

BS.Player by default does not rotate any characters in subtitles, so we really don't know why this is happening, especially if these characters are displayed correctly in Notepad.
Old 12th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

oriku is an unknown quantity at this point

hi. I'm just wondering, where do you download japanese subtitles?
Old 13th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriku
hi. I'm just wondering, where do you download japanese subtitles?
http://subscene.com/subtitles/0-9/Japanese.aspx
some tv subs but mainly movies

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/sear...languageid-jpn
again same problem, only the more famous TV programs

*** link removed by moderator ***
this one is more for downloading the whole episodes plus subs.

I have managed to get them to work on a another media player of which I wont mention names, with a bit of footwork. Im not sure if the BS team has looked into the issue more.....its been a while since I have heard from them. Maybe its just my computer, although I have managed to get them to work somehow.
Old 16th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

oriku is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much! they do seem limited tho like u said, but they're better than nothing.

Tags
bswrong, japanese, subtitles