Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Answered And Solved Questions

Answered And Solved Questions A good place to check before you post your question. All answered / solved posts are archived here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 21st May 2003
BS.Player Newbie

crashsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Milliseconds

Can you add such feature in display time field? For making subtitles it would be great, especially in great player ;)
Old 8th August 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't be too difficult to add such option (also given that BS.Player-Pro's subtitle editor already uses this time format: hh:mm:ss,sss).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 9th August 2009
BS.Player Master

I support your request to add such display as an option. It is now upto the developer(s) of BS.Player to follow this suggestion or not.
You should be aware, however, that this time-counter will not (in reality) increase by 1/1000sec at each step! For, the smallest possible significant step will always depend on the actual framerate of the movie. E.g. for a 25fps movie the movie's time counter can only increase by meaningfull steps of (1/25=) 40/1000sec.
(Of course also intermediary step-numbers (resp. time) can/may perhaps be shown but these would be "artificial" and simply correspond to the same framenumber)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 10th August 2009
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

For audio synchronising (i've done some) 5/100 (0,5/10) of a second it's enough in terms of steps to do a good synchronisation.
For subtitling (i've done some) 0,5 seconds it's enough in terms of precision. Besides, the most important subtile creating softwares works with "click and insert framenumber (or time)" .

Time counter can increase with 1/1000 of a sec. it's not limited by the framerate (time it's time, it's only limited by the use of time displaying) but it will be useless to display continously such an info.
Around 100 fps (1/100 sec) it's the highest framerate that the human eye it's comfortable with and can be folowed, so everything beyond it's useless.
Old 10th August 2009
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
....Around 100 fps (1/100 sec) it's the highest framerate that the human eye it's comfortable with and can be folowed, so everything beyond it's useless.
I'm quite aware of that. Nevertheless the format used for subtitles is hh:mm:ss,sss (i.e. expressed in 1/1000 sec), so I still think charmed94's request is a valid request. My suggestion would be to make it an option for this format to be displayed (or not) even if it wouldn't actually display individual steps of 1/1000 sec.
Old 11th August 2009
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

I think we both know the bad/useless parts of the .srt standard.

offtopic: I never used srt format to create a subtitle. I allways use .sub and when done, convert to .srt.

SUB file:

Code:

{1}{2}This 
{3}{4}line
{5}{6}is
{7}{8}1
{9}{10}frame
{11}{12}length
SRT file
Code:

00:00:00,042 --> 00:00:00,083
This 
00:00:00,125 --> 00:00:00,167
line
00:00:00,209 --> 00:00:00,250
is
00:00:00,292 --> 00:00:00,334
00:00:00,375 --> 00:00:00,417
frame
00:00:00,459 --> 00:00:00,501
length
The smalest time for a subtitle line to be displayed is, as you can see, 0,04 seconds (for a 23,976 fps file - 0,033 for a 30 fps file). You don't need a time sample smaller than that, it's uselss (or pointless). On the other hand, human eye need about 0,5 secs for a line to be displayed to read it comfortable, so, again, no need for more precision than that. Probably that's why no player display time in smaller increments than 1 sec.
Old 1st October 2009
BS.Player Master

@charmed94:
Implemented in beta version 244.2010! Edit: should be 244.1010 (thx charmed94!)

Tags
milliseconds