Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2006
BS.player Regular User

test is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSPlayer 1.42.833 Issues with turning off subtitle support

There is a DirectShow filter which has been used for ages to play subtitles, it is called DirectVobSub or VSFilter. Unfortunately it seems quite impossible to turn off BSP's internal subtitle support in order to use this filter by itself. Attempting to just turn off BSP's internal subtitle rendering and use VSFilter (like any other player that can functionally access DirectShow filters) fails. Since my previous thread was ignored, having to do with VobSubs, I debugged the problem as best I could for whoever the lazy person is that didn't give a damn.

The problem specifically points to files with a VobSub track. If you enable the 'Subtitles disabled' option (not even touching the VobSub support tab) playing the file will simply crash. Now one would suppose you could turn off BSP's internal subtitle support since there is an option for it, or am I wrong? The ends here is to simply disable all BSP subtitle rendering in order to use VSFilter. Unfortunately turning off the subtitle support makes the application crash... ???

Note that the system does contain a working DShow filter to render such subtitles, VSFilter, so there should be no hub-hub about an incomplete graph being built. Which is where the kicker comes in, the file will play perfectly fine without the option 'Subtitles disabled' being turned on. However at this point you get two sets of subtitles, one from BSP and one from VSFilter.

Also something quite related but not causing any issues until the next version most likely. The 'Enable VobSub support' option does absolutely nothing. Am I taking the meaning wrong that "Disabling" VobSub support would turn off VobSub rendering? As it currently stands all VobSub tracks will display regardless of whether that option is enabled or not. It seems pretty pointless to add it to the interface.

Hopefully this shouldn't be too ambiguous to understand now. Can BSP please just work like any other normal players and be able to use VSFilter for subtitle rendering? There seems to be so much junk in the way which blocks it from happening. Perhaps a new option, for VSFilter "Support" so users can use VSFilter instead of BSP's own internal routines.
Old 9th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Issue still present in the illustrious BSPlayer 2.00b937 with its "treasury of subtitle options." Cannot disable subtitles if one track in the file contains VobSubs. Please look into it.
Old 23rd June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Any feedback on this issue at all? Here are some possible responses you could choose from if making up another is too much.

1. Can't seem to recreate the problem, could you elaborate about what to do?
2. We don't care.
3. We don't care, go die and stop posting about this.
4. We don't give a shit about people who use VSFilter.
etc.

Been posting about this for awhile. It's fun to know no one reads these. I could write anything I want! n_n
Old 23rd June 2006
BS.Player Power User

grendizer is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess nobody tested this because they prefer the BsPlayer internal support for subpictures instead of the addtionnal codec (vsfilter). Why do you prefer this other one?
Old 23rd June 2006
BS.player Regular User

speedtrap is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer
I guess nobody tested this because they prefer the BsPlayer internal support for subpictures instead of the addtionnal codec (vsfilter). Why do you prefer this other one?
Perhaps because the internal one doesn't work on many files?

I wonder why the devs haven't fixed this obvious bug yet. It has been a known bug for months now. Perhaps they are busy spending all the money they make with the adware...
Old 24th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Since some people have issues reading I will say it again. The problem is not VSFilter, the problem is BSPlayer.

BSPlayer + disabled subtitles + play a file with VobSubs = crash. Whether VSFilter is installed on the system or not. The issue itself is BSP's internal support, it can't be turned off in certain instances without crashing. VSFilter is not a codec, it is a DirectShow filter. As with any other working player that uses DirectShow special support should not be needed for a filter, unless of course that player has all too much crap added internally which screws everything around. I prefer VSFilter because it can render SSA/ASS (SubStation Alpha) subtitles, of which are used quite extensively in anime fansubbing. It can do everything BSP can with subtitles, and was the original filter for subtitle rendering a long time ago. And I'd also prefer not to have two sets of subtitles on my screen at once (for the other subtitle formats), so if it were possible to actually disable subtitles in BSP without it crashing that would be just swell. Not to mention since VSFilter is a _filter_ it could be used in any other player for subs, thus not limiting people to only BSP for their subtitle needs. Perhaps I've written too much though now and only the first few words will be comprehended, leaving the rest of the post summarily ignored. :(
Old 30th June 2006
BS.Player Power User

" internal one doesn't work on many files? "

What do you mean? When playing many movies one after another in the playlist, the subpicture do not work?

I watched Japan anime movies with SSA/ASS subtitles, they are not bitmaps, they are text based, just like SRT. BsPlayer can read them, no need for VSFilter

Sorry I can't help on this issue. I was using VSFilter in the past but I removed it because it was a very annoying program. Now I don't need it anymore, BsPlayer does everything VSFilter does.
Old 30th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sorry I can't help on this issue. I was using VSFilter in the past but I removed it because it was a very annoying program. Now I don't need it anymore, BsPlayer does everything VSFilter does.
Same here..
I was able to play also .idx/.sub subtitles with BSplayer internal filter, so no need to use external programs
Old 1st July 2006
BS.player Regular User

I'm going to say this as simple as possible.

BSPlayer will _CRASH_ if you try to _DISABLE SUBTITLES_ in _BSPLAYER_ with a file that has _VOBSUBS_. Forget I ever mentioned VSFilter at all. Forget the last sentence where I spoke of the only real subtitle filter that should ever be used.

Now try what I said again. Disable Subtitles in BSP, then play your magical file with VobSubs. Instead of playing a file with _EXTERNAL_ vobsubs (idx/sub), as I see now external subs are about the only thing BSP ever works with, use one with them muxed _INTERNALLY_ which is a much more popular a way of storing subtitles if you did not know. You could even use the sample I previously posted which was also blatantly ignored.

I swear it is like no one here knows how to read. It is no wonder lots of people think this player is a joke. Yes BSP can play SSA/ASS, in some horribly ridiculous font and thats it! Which is not the reason to use SSA/ASS, thats the main reason for using SRT: to look ugly and be simple. The point of using SSA/ASS is to be able to use other fonts, sizes, colors, positions, etc etc etc all at once in a sub file. None of which BSP seems to be able to do with SSA/ASS, so yes I will continue to use VSFilter over this horribly broken player in which no one can sit down for 5 seconds to read anything I have to write. Just as well about the only SSA/ASS subs I've seen BSP even load are once again only external, which seems to be about as far as you can go with your support. Obviously me thinking I might relate to whoever supposedly "develops" BSP that it would be nice to use VSFilter with the player (as it works in every other player that doesn't go apeshit over subtitles) was obviously the wrong idea. You don't give a damn and enjoy your ugly fonts. Great.
Old 1st July 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by test
thats the main reason for using SRT: to look ugly and be simple.
???BSPlayer lets you choose any font in any size in any color that is installed on your PC!!!
:?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 1st July 2006
BS.Player Power User

I just played an AVI file which had external subtitles: one *.sub file (subpicture) and one *.idx file (never understood the use of this one).
Right click on the video window, uncheck "show subtitles" : no crash.

I downloaded your mkv file. I just played it in BsPlayer, right click on the video window, uncheck "show subtitles" : no crash.

Edit: possibly the cause of your crash is this damn VSfilter, uninstall it like me and BsPeter did and you may have no problem. :lol:
Old 2nd July 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
You could even use the sample I previously posted which was also blatantly ignored.
Do you meant this?
It was not ignored as you can see in that post!

And as also grendizer wrote, I'd not problems too when I disabled subtitles in BSplayer with you sample file.

Are you still using matroska haali media splitter?
Old 2nd July 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
BSplayer v2.00.937, Unhandled exception at EIP: 0051B01B
If you click 'Close' application will be terminated.
Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
If you have internet connection, it's recommended to send error report, this will help us solve problems faster.
Access violation at address 0051B01B in module 'bsplayer.exe'. Write of address 0000000C
EAccessViolation
Call stack: 00000000,0051B01B,00404843,0051AFC5,00585EB9,00577 491,00571D61,004732E4,0047622F,004E7CD7,00427BCC,0 04E8C30,00427BCC,005BA685
When playing that testfile. Subs disabled. No VSFilter registered.

If BSplayer is (still) incompatible with Haali's splitter, then it's a BSplayer bug, since there is no problem in other players.
Old 2nd July 2006
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Sorry to jump in, but your file play in here OK, with subtitles activated or not, using Haali media splitter. Unfortunately, Gabest doesn't detect the subtitle stream.
Vobsub and load subtitle into memory are also activated.
Old 3rd July 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
Sorry to jump in, but your file play in here OK, with subtitles activated or not, using Haali media splitter. Unfortunately, Gabest doesn't detect the subtitle stream.
That's great for you. But it doesn't mean that there is no bug. I run Windows 2000. Perhaps it is related to that. You are probably using XP.
Old 3rd July 2006
BS.Player Master

Narrowing the search criteria is a simple way to pinpoint a problem.
Old 6th July 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Quote:
???BSPlayer lets you choose any font in any size in any color that is installed on your PC!!!
Does it also use the fonts in the SSA/ASS subtitles? Perhaps you just aren't familiar with the format and that it allows custom fonts to be called IN THE SUBTITLE file. Might just be me, but I don't see it using any fonts whatsoever from the file. Perhaps you could elaborate?

For everyone that still can't follow directions/etc/etc. You don't need VSFilter on the system to make it crash, I've already stated this many times. If you weren't aware either the man who essentially coined the name VobSubs created VSFilter (previously called VobSub), aka Gabest. So only more bullshit if that is the excuse, but VSFilter is in no way responsible for the crash. I've reproduced this error so many times it makes me sick, on multiple VMWare Guest OS's, asked numerous other individuals to do it, and they had no problem making it crash either. I even uploaded a video in which I captured myself making BSP crash. I went through every one of the steps I am about to tell you now, perhaps I should upload it again for anyone who ignored it before?

1. Clean system of Windows. Essentially don't have it littered with lots of DirectShow filters (i.e. with codec packs)
2. Install a DivX Decoder and Haali Media Splitter.
3. Fresh install of BSPlayer on default settings.
4. Turning on 'Allow intermediate filters' and 'Enable advanced graph building'. Why these options need to exist I have no idea. However they are required to be turned on for almost every Matroska file I have tried to play in BSP. Otherwise BSP freaks out and just doesn't play the file.
5. Disable subtitles in BSP first! When I say this I do not mean turning off the stream. I mean the option in BSP which says DISABLED SUBTITLES. In which one would hope BSP subtitle support is disabled, allowing other compliant DirectShow filters to takeover subtitle rendering. This option is currently completely useless, and if you do not plan to fix it it should just be removed.
6. Play the file.
7. Watch the magical crash window open up.

Yes Haali Media Splitter is "still used." Why the hell shouldn't it be? It is the only up to date compliant Matroska splitter. It has been the official splitter for the Matroska team for well over a year now. And NO other players, which aren't a complete joke, have any issue with using it. It works in an interface as simple as graphedit. Any pointing at Haali's Splitter being the problem is once again ignoring the problem. Gabest's splitter at this point in time can only play what one might call "simple" mkv files (multiple audio and subtitle streams). It is extremely out of date with the multitude of features that Matroska can now use. If anyone is still claiming Gabest should be used in any situation over Haali's splitter, they just like being ignorant fools. Which is perfectly ok with me, I don't see this problem ever being fixed in BSP but I figured I'd give it one more shot with this post.

speedtrap has correctly reproduced the problem I have seen so many times. Though I have also said this I don't know how many times, and also been blatantly ignored. This is not an issue in the BSP releases that were made before special "haali support" was introduced. The last known working release I know of to be 1.3.2 build 820. In this build you can use Haali's Media Splitter perfectly fine, disable subtitles, and use VSFilter.
Old 6th July 2006
BS.Player Master

@test
As you can see here adicoto was able to play your test file by using Haali (with subtitles turned ON and also with subtitles turned OFF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
I tried to install Haali media splitter on my Windows ME guest os in VMWare and the error message appears when using Haali media splitter and subtitles are turned off, but as speedtrap I used an OS different from Windows XP (the one used by adicoto)
I'll try also with Windows XP.
Can I ask you which OS you used for your tests? Thanks

The fact that Haali and BSplayer don't work well together doesn't mean that haali has problems, but most probably BSplayer is the cause, I think nobody have doubts regarding this :?
but since it's known that BSplayer has problems with haali (at the current state) why can't you use Gabest splitter instead in the meantime?

You reported the problem, it's here in the bug section, you only have to wait for next releases to be fixed.

Don't be angry against us if we don't have problems with MKV files.
And regarding BSPeter subtitle answer.. probably he misunderstood what you meant (or he doesn't know that that kind of subtitles and others are able to display different fonts/colors/styles on the fly while the movie is played by basing on the subtitle script and bypassing the player settings)

All we have tested your file, and are here to try to help you, so please just be patient
When I'll test it with XP I'll write here the results.

Bye
Old 6th July 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Quote:
Does it also use the fonts in the SSA/ASS subtitles? Perhaps you just aren't familiar with the format and that it allows custom fonts to be called IN THE SUBTITLE file. Might just be me, but I don't see it using any fonts whatsoever from the file. Perhaps you could elaborate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
.... And regarding BSPeter subtitle answer.. probably he misunderstood what you meant (or he doesn't know that that kind of subtitles and others are able to display different fonts/colors/styles on the fly while the movie is played by basing on the subtitle script and bypassing the player settings)
No I didn't misunderstand and yes I do know that ssa/ass subtitles also "stear" fonts, but that wasn't what I was reacting to. I was simply reacting to test's statement that .srt subtitles are just there .. "to look ugly and simple", nothing more nothing less. In my opinion this remark is totally rubbish and totally unnecessary with respect to the point which test was making and also doesn't make any real sence at all in the context it was used.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 8th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Sorry, my nistake. Disabling subtitles feom options->preferences->subtitles->disable subtitles before opening the test file do indeed crash the player. I was disableing them using S not from preferences.

Tags
issues, subtitle, support, turning