Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19th March 2007
BS.player Regular User

ZanderZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Screen expansion [1.66 to 1.78]

Hi,
I've got a couple of movies that are in 1.66 ratio. I watch movies on a widescreen tv. When I want to watch one of those movies, I either get black bars all around the movie, or I miss part of the movie when I zoom to 16x9 (1.78) ratio.
It would be very nice if there was a screen expansion option (not sure what the English translation is, I use the Dutch translation. It's in Options - Video - Video rendering, and can be set to "no change", 4:3, 16:9, 480 lines and 576 lines) to expand the screen to 16x9 by adding black bars to the side.
Then, when you zoom in on a widescreen tv, you see the movie in 1.66 ratio with black bars just on the side, not on top+bottom.
I hope this is clear enough and it might get added one day :)

-offtopic-
In previous versions when you pressed I (i), it would show the current time of the video, now it shows the last OSD text which is completely useless. What happened to the old setting?
Old 20th March 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Did you already try to add a custom aspect ratio (yours 5:3)?
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [General]
You can add "Custom aspect ratios" in the "grey" area at the bottom, by typing in the desired ratio in the small white box and then click on [Add] (so that it is added to the list in the larger white box).
If you have added a ratio, it is shown and can be selected under
(richtclick >) Video > Aspect ratio
(the added custom ratio will be shown below the predefined ratios)

-offtopic- :
You can select what you want to be displayed when depressing [i] under:
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [OSD Options]
(in Dutch "Keuze schermmeldingen")
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 20th March 2007
BS.player Regular User

The problem is not that the video is in the wrong aspect ratio, which would be fixed with what you suggest :)
Let me clarify with an image:

In red is 4x3 ratio, which is what BSPlayer "sends" to the tv
In blue is the size of the movie
The green dotted lines show the part that is displayed when I use zoom on my tv. Everything below/above those lines is not visible. It doesn't look like much here, but it's a few cm on a tv.

So it would be nice to have an option to do it like this:

In blue the movie, expanded to widescreen (black bars) in green. The black bars is the 4x3 signal that is sent to the tv.
Now, when you zoom, you see the movie in the correct aspect ratio without losing anything of the image.
Get it? :)

@offtopic:
Thanks a lot, can't believe I missed that! :oops:
Old 20th March 2007
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderZ
The problem is not that the video is in the wrong aspect ratio
You nevertheless did say having ...
Quote:
... a couple of movies that are in 1.66 ratio.
which is why I suggested to add that ratio as a custom aspect ratio (5:3).
To be sure: you use zoom function of your TV-set (and not of BS.Player)?
Did you already try (in full screen mode) to pan-out a bit ([-] on numeric keyboard)?

(together with "Remember Pan Scan settings" (Instellingen van de beelduitsnede onthouden) in Video preferences/General?)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 20th March 2007
BS.player Regular User

Hm, okay, once more then :P

The movies are in 1.66 ratio, which is the correct ratio (for example: Bound by Honor)
The tv-out signal is 1.33, so there are black bars when you watch a 1.66 movie on a tv. When you have a 4x3 (1.33) tv, this is no problem.
However, when you have a widescreen tv (1.78 ) like me, you have to zoom in (on the tv). When you watch a 1.78, 1.85, 2.35 or whatever, this is fine. But a 1.66 movie is higher than 1.78, so when you zoom, you miss part of the movie. I don't want that. When you don't zoom, you get black bars all around. I don't want that either.
So it would be nice if BSPlayer could add black bars on the side of a 1.66 movie so appears to be a 1.78 movie. Compare this with enabling "Scherm uitbreiden tot" (Expand screen to?) 16:9 when watching a 2.35 movie. BSPlayer will add black bars on the top and bottom so the 2.35 movie appears to be 1.78 (useful for having subtitles below the movie)
Then, when you zoom in, all is fine.

Quote:
Did you already try (in full screen mode) to pan-out a bit ([-] on numeric keyboard)?
Can't do that, since I'm watching on overlay. As far as I know, you can't pan using overlay. It only pans on the primary screen.
Disabling overlay is no option either, because then the resolution of my monitor and tv don't match and you will get scrolling on the tv.

-edit-
If it's still unclear, I could upload a short movie showing my problem. I also know VirtualDub can do it, but by recompressing you always lose some image quality...
Old 21st March 2007
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderZ
Can't do that ....
One can always try ("niet geschoten is altijd mis!") :lol:
It's quite clear what feature you want to be added so you needn't explain further.
I'm just trying to achieve a similar result in a different way.
You havn't selected "Cut top and bottom of video in full screen mode" under Video-preferences/General by any chance?

P.S.:
My TV has 4:3, 14:9, 16:9, 16:9 subtitle mode, expanded screen, wide screen and PALplus. Suppose you have similar options. Which are you using?
Old 21st March 2007
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
One can always try ("niet geschoten is altijd mis!") :lol:
Absolutely, and I appreciate your input!

Quote:
You havn't selected "Cut top and bottom of video in full screen mode" under Video-preferences/General by any chance?

P.S.:
My TV has 4:3, 14:9, 16:9, 16:9 subtitle mode, expanded screen, wide screen and PALplus. Suppose you have similar options. Which are you using?
Nope, that option is deselected. Doesn't seem to mather though when I select it. Maybe because overlay is enabled?
My tv has 4:3, 16:9, 16:9 subtitle (I guess... it shows the bottom 16:9 part of the 4:3 signal) and stretched (4:3 signal stretched to 16:9)
For watching movies I use 16:9 (unless the movie is in 4:3 ofcourse)
Old 10th October 2010
BS.Player Newbie

dzver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
Did you already try to add a custom aspect ratio (yours 5:3)?
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [General]
You can add "Custom aspect ratios" in the "grey" area at the bottom, by typing in the desired ratio in the small white box and then click on [Add] (so that it is added to the list in the larger white box).
If you have added a ratio, it is shown and can be selected under
(richtclick >) Video > Aspect ratio
(the added custom ratio will be shown below the predefined ratios)

-offtopic- :
You can select what you want to be displayed when depressing [i] under:
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [OSD Options]
(in Dutch "Keuze schermmeldingen")
Thank You very much, You helped me a lot

Tags
166, 178, expansion, screen