Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th January 2005
BS.Guest

Default How to switch back to older version???

Hi, I just updated my Bsplayer to version 1.1 Build 814 and I didn't like it. So I decided to switch back to Build 812. However, when I tried to play my xvid movie in the old version, it crashed. I don't have any problem to play it in the new version though. It's just the old version suddenly doesn't work any more after I have used the new version. There was time that I can have mutiple versions of Bsplayer (before 0.8 I guess) on my hard drive and they can both run properly without any problem. And now I have no clue what's going on! Isn't Bsplayer suppose to be a standalone player and doesn't mess with windows? Do I need to uninstall the new version some how in order to get my old version work again? By the way, I use the zip version all the time, and I have no idea how to fix the problem.

So, basically, the situation is this:
I have unzipped both version (812 and 814) into their own folder.
The old version (812) was working faultlessly in the past until the new version.
I ran the new version and it also run faultlessly but I don't like the image quality.
I ran back to the old version, but now whenever I play the movie files, it crashed. (Send error report window pop up immediately)
Then I go back and run the new version, and the new version runs without any problem.

So there must be something wrong in the windows registry but I don't know where to find it!!! Anyway, can anyone help me please! I really want to use the old one. :(
Old 24th January 2005
BS.player Regular User

lwc is an unknown quantity at this point

What a timing...this week is the one year anniversary for my complaint about BSPlayer refusing to be registry independent (aka be a truly "clean" program).

Alas, as you can see, only one person bothered to reply and his reply wasn't even about the registry...

Maybe your post will re-awaken the subject.

However, note how I mentioned that all the registry keys BSPlayer leaves behind are just there to "do nothing else than make the system be aware that BSPlayer was installed there at some point".
In other words, they have no technical meaning.

So your best solution should be reinstalling the codec that went bad.

If you still wish to remove's BSPlayer's leftover, here are the relevant registry keys it leaves behind (I found it with "InCtrl5"):
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BST]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bsi]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bsl]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bsz]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BSP.inif]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BSP.plist]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BSP.SkinZip]
Copy and paste these lines into Notepad and then save it as a file called "remove.reg" (or anything.reg - just make sure it ends with a .reg).
Then double click it to remove the leftovers!
Old 24th January 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Firewithfire is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

BTW, I am the one who posted the question.

I already found the answer of my question. I used to switch between different versions of Bsplayer in the past, especially when a new version has come out and I am not sure whether I would like the new version. And actually I have came across this problem b4, and the solution is to delete the old folder where I put the files, and unzip the download file again. It's been a long time since I had this problem and I totally forgot the solution! I am sorry to bother anyone. It's my fault, but I am still thankful to lwc for replying my question. Anyway, your post is a big help to me. Now I know where to find the orphans files of Bsplayer, which I have been searching for a long time. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to switch back to older version???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewithfire
There was time that I can have mutiple versions of Bsplayer (before 0.8 I guess) on my hard drive and they can both run properly without any problem.
The answer to this "mistery" is rather simple:
The "installation path" of the "old" (i.e. pre-1.0) version of BSPlayer (as well as the name of its executable, i.e. "bsplay.exe") was different from the (default) installation-path of the 1+ versions of BSPlayer ("X:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe" / "bsplayer.exe").
That's why you can have more than one installation (versions) of BSPlayer at the same time (as a matter of fact I've three myself).

(I understand you've meanwhile already found my post with the link to where all versions of BSPlayer are available)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Tags
back, older, switch, version