Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th April 2005
BS.Player Newbie

yonae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "unknown file format ()" message

Hi,

I install BSplayer Multimedia, and during the operation of this tool I get the following error/message :( :

"unknown file format ()"

Please advice,
Thanks.
Old 13th April 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

You probably need to install codecs.
Please read my Help2Help-post on this subject (especially items 3 & 4).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 16th April 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Morgoth80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get the same error when trying to play .vob files. Ive installed the Ace Mega Codecs pack (latest Ver) and so i dont think its a codec problem.

I donot have a DVD drive though; would this stop me from playing the .vob file? My friend has a DVD drive on his PC and installed BSplayer and Ace Mega codecs pak and can play the files just fine.

What is wrong??
Old 16th April 2005
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth80
Ive installed the Ace Mega Codecs pack (latest Ver) .....
Everywhere in this forum (in "READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING", Official F.A.Q., unofficial F.A.Q. and lots of individual posts) there are warnings against the use of codec packs, the use of which often causes conflicts and problems and what's more which (not unimportantly) makes it a hell of a lot more difficult to find out what exactly is going wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth80
I donot have a DVD drive though; would this stop me from playing the .vob file? My friend has a DVD drive on his PC ..... and can play the files just fine.
Playing a .vob-file (I assume you're traying to play a correct and decrypted!! .vob file) requires an MPEG2 decoder (together with its accompanying splitter) (Lots of posts on MPEG2 in his forum). The DVD drive your friend purchased, was probably accompanied by DVD-player software (which can decrypt .vob files). I assume the Ace codec pack also contains one (or more!?) MPEG2-decoder(s), but - as you may probably understand - I'm not willing to try and install this pack at the risk of problems on my own PC. So you will have to experiment yourself. E.g. read these posts (and perhaps, when you get the error, check under (rightclick >) Options > Filters > Advanced which filters are used by BSPlayer then. Further maybe play around with (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Filter management). Success!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 27th July 2005
BS.Player Newbie

yonae is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
You probably need to install codecs.
Please read my Help2Help-post on this subject (especially items 3 & 4).
Hi,

I follow after your instractions and still didn't succes to run BSplayer for *.wmv files.
the problem is with the codac files- i agree with you :-), but which of them should i instal from http://www.free-codecs.com/
Can you advice?

Thanks,
Y.
Old 27th July 2005
BS.Player Master

http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=18585#18585
(At the bottom of item (4) of my Help2Help-post there is a link to adicoto's list of codecs)

Tags
message, unknown file format