Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

mordicus is on a distinguished road
Default Playback Rate File Types and DVD

I want to be able to play video from my DVD (custom burn .ts file) and change the playback rate in 10% increments.

However, the free version of BS only reads .vob files (not .ts files). The .vob files are not the same video length as the .ts files, although playback rate can change in 10% increments.

When I got BS pro, the .TS files played with the entire length of the video. But the playback rate was not able to be changed in 10% increments.

I noticed that in BS free and pro, an .mpg file I have can be playedback in 10% increments, but .wmv file cannot.

Are my observations normal for this program?
***HOW CAN I PLAY A .TS FROM THE DVD IN 10% INCREMENTS?***
Old 11th February 2009
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

PLayback speed depends on the codec used to decode the stream. If the codec doesn't support playback speed modification you won't be able to alter it.
TS files (custom made) are MPEG2, VC-1 or H264 ? Wich splitter and filters are used to decode the files ?
Old 11th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it!

I don't know how to determine which splitters and filters are being used.
If when playing a .wmv file I go to menu options filters, i see WMVideo Decoder DMO. That's as far as I know how to provide info.
Perhaps you know of a way I can search for codecs that allow for TS 10% increments?

Alternatively, why when using the free version, the vob file does not match the length of the TS file?
Old 11th February 2009
BS.Player Master

WMV files are usually decoded by Microsoft DMO decoder, built into WMP. As far as I know, it does not support playback rate modification. I may be wrong, I will look more into it.
You can try to install FFDshow and assign it to decode WMV files too.
As for the TS files, open a file, rightclick -> options -> filters and you should see all the filters used (splitters and codecs)
As for MPEG2 file length, each filter calculates this length in it's own way. Using framerate or using bitrate. If you acces 2 diferent decoders, one using bitrate, one using framerate, you will have 2 different lengths.
Old 11th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Don't worry about the wmv files.
My main goal is to modify playback rate in 10% increments using bs player for .TS files directly from custom burned DVDs.

I will look for the filters used for .TS files and try others and get back to you.

"As for MPEG2 file length, each filter calculates this length in it's own way. Using framerate or using bitrate. If you acces 2 diferent decoders, one using bitrate, one using framerate, you will have 2 different lengths."

The "file length" I'm referring to is the TIME LEFT reported on the player. Using BS pro, I can play the DVD as 1 .TS file. But using free, it views the DVD as 2 .mov files of different time lengths that don't add up to the single .TS file time. Is it more than the fact that the codecs are calculating time left differently, or is it actually playing it at different speeds or something?

My main goal is to modify playback rate in 10% increments using bs player for .TS files directly from custom burned DVDs.

I will look for the filters used for .TS files and try others and get back to you. Thank you for helping me with this!
Old 11th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Okay, I checked the filters under options and this is the list:

Default Direct Sound Device
EQ (DEFUALT HIGHLIGHTED)
MPV decoder filter
AC3 filter
DVD Source

I have no idea how this stuff works.
I clicked on each one, but EQ stayed highlighted.
After clicking each one, I tried CTRL+F5 to reduced playback rate at 10% increments without luck.
I don't know if there are settings in those filters that I should change or if I need an entirely new codec. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2009
BS.Player Master

MPV decoder filter is a bit outdated (Gabest does not update it any more). Could I suggest to move to another MPEG2 decoder ?
Old 11th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

I have little understanding of codecs and no affiliation to one or another. Can you provide a link to a specific codec for me to download or at least a name I can search for?

Also, so I can learn, what is the relationship between MPEG2 and .TS?

Last edited by mordicus; 11th February 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12th February 2009
BS.Player Master

Elecard, CyberLink, InterVideo....can't provide links in here

By TS you refer to the folders named Video_TS and Audio_TS in witch the structure of a video DVD it's created (and not to the .TS files = Transport Stream used in HD transmisions). Compresion method used in DVDs it's MPEG 2.
So, to play a DVD you need a splitter to decode the DVD structure (named DVD Source in the llist) and 2 filters, one to decompress the video stream (MPEG2 decoder - MPV) and one for the audio stream (AC3Filter)
Old 12th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

I appreciate your patience as you bear with me.

I installed Elecard evaluation, but the list in the filters in BS player is still the same. I don't understand how BS player chooses the codec and how I can select a different one. It still says MVP decoder filter.
If it helps at all, I am not interested in the sound at all, just video.

You are also not sure if the other codecs can do the playback rate reduction, correct, I'm just trying them out, right?
Old 12th February 2009
BS.Player Master

You must first uninstall MPV filter, and after that Elecard will be used. You also can try just to rename the filter (you will find it if you look into filters list, click on MVP filter and you will have there the exact location (some c:\program files\some codecpack\ )
Elecard MPEG2 decoder can alter playback speed.
Old 12th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

I uninstalled the old codec and installed
elecard mpeg2 video decoder HD (which is now in my filtered list within BS player).
I also know that it's using elecard because I see an elecard logo in the top right of the video when it plays using BS player.

Unfortunately, the abilty to adjust playback in 10% increments is not functioning!

Any other suggestions?.............
Old 12th February 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
Elecard MPEG2 decoder can alter playback speed.
BS.Player Pro can't play DVDs
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 12th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Okay, so I tried both ELECARD and Cyberlink and you are right, they do support playback rate changes. However, I can only reduce to 1/2X by selecting it from the menu. Reducing/Increasing by 10% increments (shift+F5/F6 or selected from menu) does not work with either codec. 50% is still too fast for my needs, which brings me back to my original problem.

1) Is there a codec that allows for the 10% increment reduction in playback rate when viewing .TS from a DVD?

or a workaround:

2) If I just watched the .VOB files which can do 10% increments, why does the time remaining not match the .TS files? I want no reduction in quality or lost frames and I'm afraid that's the problem with the .vob.

Also, the .vob for some reason exists as two files, both of which don't add up to the running time of the .ts. It also acts weird in that after the .vob is clicked on in the playlist, the running time changes to a new time that still doesn't add to the .TS.
Old 13th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Using .VOB is not good. When changing playback rate in 10% increments, the file skips past chuncks of time.

Does any Mpeg2 codec work with BS player to actually utilize 10 % increment change?
Old 13th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

I am going away until Monday, please don't take my lack of response as disinterest and close the thread. thanks!
Old 16th February 2009
BS.player Regular User

Hi again, thanks for your help.
Do you have any response for posts #14 and #15?

Tags
dvd, file, playback, rate, types