Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th August 2012
BS.Player Newbie

makimakimaki is on a distinguished road
Exclamation [CONFIRMED] MPA Decoder Filter Bug

Using BS.Player 2.62 Build 1068

I think it is a bug because I can't scroll down to AAC Decoder settings or any other settings below. Any suggestions how can I get to these other settings?
Thanks!

Old 25th August 2012
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Bug confirmed!
Sorry don't know a workaround (yet).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 25th August 2012
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Maybe using TAB ?
Old 25th August 2012
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
Maybe using TAB ?
Nope!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 26th August 2012
BS.Player Master

It seems that BSPlayer's codec manager download an ancient version of MPA decoder (ver 1.0.0.4) released by gabest probably around 2006-2007.
Meanwhile the project was updated and there is a new release (1.6.3.5588)

Free-Codecs.com :: Download MPA Decoder 1.6.3.5588 : As the name says MPA Decoder will help to decode MPA files

Download and install, probably the bug is gone by now.
Also, as a workaround you can install CoreAAC

Free-Codecs.com :: Download CoreAAC Directshow filter 1.2.0.575 : CoreAAC is an AAC DirectShow filter decoder based on FAAD2

I am using an older version (1.0) for many years and had no problem at all.
Old 26th August 2012
BS.Player Master

I think the version loaded by BS.Player's codecmanager is Gabest last "official" version. Apparently you didn't test and try yourself! Version 1.6.3.5588 as referred to by you doesn't solve makimakimaki's reported issue. In fact it instead adds new problems (see text below the picture). This new version seems stripped down and simply doesn't cover AAC-audio as you can see from the picture below. (Most probably BS.Player in its default installation uses FFDShow for AAC. I didn't test that now though.) Codecmanager indicates in its info that this filter is an "Alternate audio decoder for AC3/DTS and MPEG audio", which also suggests that BS.Player doesn't use it for any other purposes (such as AAC). So perhaps this issue in fact is only a cosmetical issue which could (?) maybe easily be repaired by slightly shortening (=moving bottom border up) the window shown for MPA Decoder's properties.

When (easy method: quick and dirty) testing this newer (but non-Gabest!) version, I played several movies and quite a few gave errors, whereas they played without any problems with the "old" MPA Decoder filter. (Also afterwards when I went back to version 1.0.0.4.) So that is IMHO a very good and valid reason to stick to the "old".
(Like I said, my testing was "quick and dirty", so it might just be that this caused the errors.)
Old 26th August 2012
BS.Player Master

Unfortunately, on Gabest SF.net page, the same issue (can't scroll down) was reported somwhere in 2008 and no response since then.
Old 26th August 2012
BS.Player Master

Like I already said it most probably is just a cosmetical issue as it isn't likely that BS.Player's team ever intended MPA Decoder to be used for AAC-audio. (I found an older GUI which I reproduce hereunder for reference purposes only.)

So I cannot but think that the issue reported is just a cosmetical remnant of this older (but discontinued) GUI.
Old 27th August 2012
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by makimakimaki View Post
...I think it is a bug because I can't scroll down to AAC Decoder settings or any other settings below. Any suggestions how can I get to these other settings? ...
As meanwhile may have become clear, this doesn't - in fact - concern a bug in BS.Player, but rather a cosmetical issue of the filter itself (though maybe it is possible (I don't know) for BS.Player's developper(s) to bring the window's bottom border e.g. one mm up, so that the filter's obsolete text becomes hidden). BS.Player doesn't rely on MPA decoder for AAC audio, but instead I expect that (in BS.Player's default installation, with only its preferred codecs/filters installed) it will use ffdshow Audio decoder to take care of AAC audio.

Tags
decoder, filter, mpa