Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

guesticle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subtitle diagnostics?

Hello,

I recently got an anime i have been waiting to see for over a year. It's not available anywhere that i can see to buy, so i went and downloaded it from a fansubs group.

It has a .sub and a .idx file, both named the same and in the same directory, but as of yet i cannot get any player to play it.

I tried BSplayer most recently, and what i am wondering is, is there a way to show details on why the subtitles aren't working?

I don't know if it's not finding the file, or if the file is corrupted, or something else. It just doesn't work.

Is there a way to see what's going on?

Thanks!
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Power User

trodas is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably wrong subtiles. BSplayer have only one quirka about subtitles and this is not it
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

It is a dvd ripped subtitle. It is a grafic based subtitle type. You can transform it in an text based subtitle using Subrip.
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Power User

...or use VobSub, but i preffer MicroDVD suntitles format and it's editability, not to mention size and nonproblematic usage :twisted:
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

okay, so i guess i just use subrip to OCR the subtitles into text and then it should work?

lemme go try.. thanks guys!
Old 11th September 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's the ideea. You should end with a good subtitle, that can be used by every player. Take care at the beginning of the job, because the program ask you to help it recognizing letters.
Old 11th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

yeah, i screwed that up a little (actually i'm not sure how cuz it seemed right at the time) and some I's and l's got mixed up, as well as caps for S.

also it asked me about a lot of letters that were actually just two letters that were very close together.

anyways i got it working.. but bsplayer doesn't show the subtitles on the tvout.. something about how it renders them, it does them as an overlay instead of combining the two into the signal.

i used vobsub with media player classic and it works.. i guess that means i am now officially OFF-TOPIC :)
Old 11th September 2003
BS.Player Power User

Quietseb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesticle
but bsplayer doesn't show the subtitles on the tvout.. something about how it renders them, it does them as an overlay instead of combining the two into the signal.
did you try to tinker with the settings in the subtitles preferences in bsplayer ?

Quote:
i used vobsub with media player classic and it works
vobsub works with bsplayer too.
Old 14th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

flautash is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there.. :D

i used to have sooooo much problems with subtitles.. :(
... trying to find them :roll: on sooo many sites..

an then i found THE tool

try the Subtitle Workshop from here urusoft.cjb.net

it's not that i'm advertising the guy, but it helped me.. now i adjust subtitles the way i need them to be.. when i get a file too big to fit cd, i reencode it and then just adjust subtitles.

you should try it. it supports 48 various formats and is soo easy to play with.

:)
Old 14th September 2003
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Hello flautash,
You seem to have missed the point here. The subtitle of this topic was a graphic based subtitle type, which had to be transformed into a text based subtitle (using Subrip).
Further there are several subtitle-utilities:
Vladimir's subsync a very simple and basic utility (which does the job it is supposed to do perfectly for only three types of subtitlefiles, i.e. SAMI, SubRib and MicroDVD or .smi, .srt and .sub; I must say I use it all l the time)
Then there is SubtitleWorkshop as mentioned by you, which indeed can cope with a huge number of subtitle-types and has a lot more options and possibilities,
but there are more subtitle-utilities, e.g.: SubMax
So now there is a choice!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 16th September 2003
BS.Player Power User

...anyway, the problem, that BSplayed did not show the subtitles on the TV out - its primary caused by unsupported TV out overlay + mixed stuff output on most, if not all cards on earth - can be fixed easily.

Just enable the option "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" and it will work, guaranted 8)

...ofcourse, this don't work in case the subtitles don't render BSplayer itself, like using the vobsub tool to display the ones ripped from DVD and don't converted into any more usable (for example MircoDVD) format :roll:

Tags
diagnostics, subtitle