Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Klaatu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Main window gone

using BSPlayer version 1.1 Build 814 Free, WinXP HE, ATI Radeon 9200, no tv set plugged,
now 2 or 3 days ago with no apparent reason
the player's main window vanished !
I mean all I have is a taskbar-minimized starting bsplayer when I launch it, clicking the bar doesn't help, right-click it & try to restore the app's window and here's the funny almost subliminal glimpse of the player window sort of flying away off the left side of the screen,
hitting H key sends it all to the systray, where right clicking has the "tall" menu pop up :
in there I can open my divx's at last, that's fine, but still the main window is lost.
I'm positive I didn't change any settings.
I uninstalled then reinstalled to no avail.

Any ideas ?
Thx for reading.
Old 2nd February 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

You probably accidentally and unintentionally dragged it outside the visible screen.
Exit BSPlayer if active.
Goto BSPlayer's installation folder.
(default C:\Program files\Webteh\BSPlayer\)
There will be a file BSPlayer.YourName.xml
("YourName" depends on "your name" as defined on your PC)
This file holds all your settings (preferences).
If you delete it (or place it elsewhere to be edited and re-used later) and then start BSPlayer you will (hopefully) now see BSPlayer's main window (=control-panel) on the visible part of the screen.
BSPlayer will simply have created a new .xml file
You will then have to redo all your settings or if you've placed the original .xml file elsewhere, compare (with BSPlayer inactive) the two .xml files (e.g. in Notepad) with respect to the line
<MainWinPos type="int">[numeric value]</MainWinPos>
and substitute that value in the "old" .xml-file by the value as created in the new file; then save the old .xml-file and place it back in BSPlayer's installation folder (overwriting the newer version).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 2nd February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Thx Peter but id didn't work, I mean I found the MainWinPos value, but the strange behavior was still not fixed.
What I found, as odd as it may seem, is that
-double-clicking the exe within win explorer folder has the main window normally show
-creating on the fly a shortcut in the bsplayer folder works as well
-copying this shortcut to desktop will only work if it's named anything BUT "bsplayer.exe", e.g. I called "Divx BSPlayer" and it's fine...
AAAND the path (destination) in shortcut property is
C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe /bsplayer.exe
if the /bsplayer.exe is missing, the main window is gone again :o

Anyway, now with this little trick (renaming plus /bsplayer.exe) the shortcut and program are fine again.

This thing is strange isn't it
Old 2nd February 2005
BS.Player Master

It seems to me that (caused by whatever reason) BSPlayer.exe was installed inside a folder also named BSPlayer.exe on your PC.
(Did you change default path during installation, or perhaps used zipped version?)
I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the "destination" in the desktop shortcut which you created has meanwhile been changed (by Windows)
from: C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe /bsplayer.exe
into: C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe\bsplayer.exe
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

>...BSPlayer.exe was installed inside a folder also named
>BSPlayer.exe on your PC.
>(Did you change default path during installation?)

hmm.. no, it's always been in the default Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\ place :?

>the "destination" in the desktop shortcut
>meanwhile been changed (by Windows)
>into: C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe\bsplayer.exe

no, sorry, the /bsplayer.exe thing is staying
and if I delete it so that it just reads
"...\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe"
and nothing else,
it works no more
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

Hmmm, very strange indeed.
I really havn't got a clue of what's going on.
Anyhow, your solution seems to work, so ....
(if it aint broke don't fix it)

(Could perhaps be a Win-XP "thingy"; would have to check on my son's PC, but he's gaming continuously!)
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

>would have to check on my son's PC, but he's gaming continuously

:lol: :lol:

you're telling me :roll:

Fyi, don't know whether it matters, but I have 2 other pc's here, BSPlayer is in all of them and the other 2 are fine. The graphics cards and monitors are different, they all have WinXP running.

The monkey business being here...
I'd exclude any user.xml involvment, toggling the bug on and off I saved all along the xml's and made a thorough comparison (i.e. using Winhex binary compare tool) and they're always identical.
I even loaded an earlier System Restore point to see if, you know, the win Registry might be messed up, but still no difference.

Just fyi I seem to remember something went awry when running bsplayer and at the same time doing a lot of things while the VLC Media Player was open too.
Not that I want to blame the excellent VideoLAN Client.
My naive intuition of this is that at that time WinXP secretively decided the default bsplayer shortcut course had to be "banned" somehow and that little trick that I came up with was able to circumvent the mysterious trouble.
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bsplayer.exe

What if you change it to

C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bplay.exe
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu
>would have to check on my son's PC, but he's gaming continuously

:lol: :lol:

you're telling me :roll:
Do we have a common problem there?
:P
( :idea: Maybe if you would ever find out what happened to BSPlayer's window, we could move their game-window off-visible-screen and explain "that peace has broken out"?)
Old 4th February 2005
BS.Player Newbie

adicoto :
>What if you change it to
>C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer\bplay.exe

hey, congratulations :idea: great tip :)
bplay.exe is good !!
also tried its relative (?) bsplay.exe living in the same folder and guess what, it is alright too ! (The icon must come from bsplayer.exe, anyway)
Only bsplayer.exe itself is doomed.

BSPeter :
>Do we have a common problem there?

Only, double for me (equals 2 sons & 2 pc's :shock: )

>we could move their game-window off-visible-screen and explain
>"that peace has broken out"?)

8) ...keep them busy investigating on that poorly documented API, HeyWhereHasTheDamnWindowGone()

Tags
main