Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

ashrack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bsplayer freezes when seeking forward

When I hold the right arrow on the keyboard for more than 5seconds BSPLAYER will freeze during rewinding.
This only happens with X264 movies that have subtitles already in them. If I disable the subtitle in HALI MEDIA SPLITTER then the seek forward works normally.
With MPC this problem doesn't exist so it is a bug in BSPLAYER.

Steps I have tried:
Installed BSPLAYER 2.26 BUILD 956, before I was using BSplayer 1.42.833
Updated to latest COREAVC from 1.5 to 1.6 and updated HAALI MEDIA SPLITTER to version dated 03/08
Removed COREAVC and installed BETA4 of FFDSHOW TRYOUTS and set it to decode H.264 video

Specs of my machine
Athlon X2 6000+
2GB RAM
Radeon HD 3850 256MB
Win XP SP2

edit:
have edited certain things that BSpeter warned me about
Old 18th April 2008
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Hmmm isn't right arrow seek forward rather than rewind (=backward)?
As a pro licence holder, you are entitled to get official e-mail support from BS.Player-team, so why not contact them directly?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 18th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

BSpeter
I could not remember the english word for seek forward that is way I said rewind.
And I am using BSPLAYER FREE not PRO the one with that pesky advantage or something. I have misstyped in the OP
Old 18th April 2008
BS.Player Power User

kimiraikkonen is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeking even with CoreAVC 1.5.0 (though they claim a lot of fixes which are not visible) with Gabest MP4 splitter is instable. Sometimes video freezes for a few seconds after seek by the time audio keeps going forward, sometimes after seeking the playback becomes much faster abnormally etc.

Complained here:
http://www.bsplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13034
Old 18th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

i read that before posting and my problem is different.
Like I already said if I disable the subtitles in HAALI then seeking forward or rewinding works great. And also by using the same codecs as BSPLAYER uses, MPC has no problems with seeking forward or rewinding with subtitles enabled.
Old 20th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

just installed BSPLAYER on another machine and a friend of mine also said of this same problem.

The case is if the X264 movie has subtitles embeded then BSPLAYER freezes when rewinding or seeking forward.

Will there be a fix to this or should I start searching for an alternative player which I really do not want to.
Old 20th April 2008
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Latest beta seems to have solved this problem.
Old 20th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

just tried BSPLAYER version
which I installed in a new folder with a new XML settings file and the same still happens.

and I also do no understand how can a BETA version have advantage. For crying out loud BETAs are for testing purposes and developers should be grateful that people use them and test them
Old 20th April 2008
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

Good observation. I never localized the problem, and just accepted that seeking is not available. Good to know that I can seek in files w/o subs.

I believe the alternative would be private betas for Tizio, Grendizer, etc. Or else nobody would use the release version.
Old 20th April 2008
BS.Player Master

Seeking is available in older builds, never had this problem using CoreAVC and Gabest MKV splitter.
As long as Tizio is trying to help in BSplayer's improvement, I don't have nothing against a private Beta build especially for him.
Old 20th April 2008
BS.player Regular User

adicoto
perhaps if I were to use Gabest MKV splitter it wouldn't freeze
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Master

Nope, I\ve just installed Haali media splitter and it's working OK. I can seek back and forth with no problem.
Tested with an x264 file with 7 ass embedded subtitles.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.player Regular User

also tested with a few other x264 files some of them had 5 subtitles embeded and BSPLAYER still froze.

I belive the best thing would be if we could somehow exchange the movies. I would send you the one that freeze my BSPLAYER and you would send me the one that doesn't freeze your BSPLAYER.
I have a very fast internet so I could easily set up a FTP server and you would DL the movie from me.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Power User

What would be the point of such exchange?

Adicoto: Can BSPlayer really display ASS format captions? Because if you're using ffdshow/vsfilter, that might be the reason why the program doesn't crash.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Master

Never used FFDshow. As I say, CoreAVC and Gabest.

Yes, the embedded subtitles are in ASS format, I don't know if there is some special features added inside or it's just a plain text, but it works ok to display simple text without special formatting. Download the latest build from sunday evening, BST worked hard to fix some features.

@ashrak
Quote:
also tested with a few other x264 files some of them had 5 subtitles embeded and BSPLAYER still froze.

I belive the best thing would be if we could somehow exchange the movies. I would send you the one that freeze my BSPLAYER and you would send me the one that doesn't freeze your BSPLAYER.
I have a very fast internet so I could easily set up a FTP server and you would DL the movie from me.
Files I talk about are 4,5-8,5 GB each.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Power User

Thank you, I rather live without seeking than face loads of possible diferent bugs, or anti-piracy measures.

You can rather easily make a 'sample' of your files using MkvMerge. Load your Matroska stream, go to Global page, and select "Enable splitting". It can take some time to figure out the correct format time must be entered in. I always forget what it was.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.player Regular User

adicoto
hell I have series which are 1.07gb and have movies which are 20GB in size and the ones with embeded subtitles all freeze.
And just tried KMPLAYER with the same codecs as BS is using and it works without problem.
There any word when a BSplayer developer will pick this BUG up?

J7N
is there a guide somewhere about making a two minute sample?
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Master

@ashrak

I specified the size of the files so you can understand why I can't share them with you. In a PM I can tell you where the files come from.
As long as my files play OK, I won't tell it's BSPlayer's bug. By any chance, do you have also an external subtitle in the same folder ? Wich rendering method do you use ? KMP and BSP use different rendering methods (overlay mixer as default in KMP and internal renderer as default for BSP)

@J7N
At least how much I have tested, there is no important bug in this release.
I know how to use MKVMerge, no problem. But like this I will alter the file. I don't want to do that.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.Player Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrack
J7N
is there a guide somewhere about making a two minute sample?
1. Get MkvToolNix for your operating system (Windows)
2. Open the program and load the Matroska file by drag-and-drop.
3. In global page specify "Enable splitting" ...after timecodes.
4. At least in version 2.1.0 you can use this simple time format: HH:MM:SS, HH:MM:SS (I was surprised that it did not demand nanoseconds this time. I don't know if time and list separators are taken from Windows regional settings, most likely not.)
5. Specify an output filename in the bottom, preferably on a different physical disk.
6. Press "Start muxing" and after this process has finished you should have one or more new files. (several, only if splitting is used)

File will be split at keyframes (I-frames), so you may not get the exact timecodes. MkvMerge is the defacto standard for creation of Matroska files, so you shouldn't worry that some formats might not be supported.
Old 21st April 2008
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
@ashrak
I specified the size of the files so you can understand why I can't share them with you. In a PM I can tell you where the files come from.
please send me the PM
Quote:
As long as my files play OK, I won't tell it's BSPlayer's bug. By any chance, do you have also an external subtitle in the same folder ?
no
Quote:
Wich rendering method do you use ?
I use the default that BSPLAYER gave. And I also tried OVERLAY and it also froze.

Tags
forward, freezes, seeking