Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st January 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Cassius Clay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BS PLAYER CAUSES COMPUTER TO FREEZE

This happened recently.
Everytime I click on a BS Player file to open it, computer freezes. All the activities that are running at the background are running anyway.( ex: if windows media player is open, it continues to play, even go to next song, or if I am downloading something it continues to download it) . I can move the mouse over the screen but I can not click on anyway. It is like the computer is hypnotized. I scanned my computer against viruses or spywares (Norton 2005 and Symantec Online scan, Microsoft AntiSpyware and Lavasoft Ad-Aware) but there is nothing. My computer is clean but BS causes it to freeze and the only way for me to get my computer working is reset button.
I checked the event viewer and it is teling me that
Faulting application bsplayer.exe, version 1.3.7.826, faulting module bsplayer.exe, version 1.3.7.826, fault address 0x000c4f6f.

Can somebody help me please? What is going on?
I uninstalled and reinstalled the BS but it did not help in anyway. I was using the last version of BS Player and it did not make any difference even I installed a previous version of BS.

Any ideas?
Old 1st January 2006
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Re registering quartz.dll might help.
Old 1st March 2006
BS.Player Newbie

sirovsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And mine freezes upon preference change

And my computer freezes upon specific preference changes (specifically - re-mapping file extensions)...

Real strange, this is... :)
Old 1st March 2006
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BS PLAYER CAUSES COMPUTER TO FREEZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius Clay
I scanned my computer against viruses or spywares (Norton 2005
Norton places too heavy load on computer. It does more bad than good. I'd say you free your comp from stuff like this.
Old 1st March 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7N
Norton places too heavy load on computer. It does more bad than good. I'd say you free your comp from stuff like this.
Sorry, nonsense! I quite disagree. I have been using Norton System Works / Internet Security for years and without any problems ever. Of course one may have an own personal preference, but I would certainly never advise anyone against using Norton/Symantec or McAfee or similar programs!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 2nd March 2006
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

My comp is running without any A/V, newest M$ media player or fancy XP gui (to name just a few) and crashed BSPlayer or any other program never made me reboot the entire system.

Norton disrupts most Internet activity no matter whether it is needed or harmful. Its worm protection cuts every traffic which passes thru the known malware ports, and since there is alot of malware there's no free port range you can safely use. (=disable WP)

Norton uses a lot of mem, which could be dedicated for other purposes, like compression with 7-Zip, running P2P applications (that's where the content for BSPlayer comes from) or just running more apps simultaneously. Norton makes it impossible to receive a relatively small 40 MB email if you have 512 MB of mem. (=disable email scan)

(-) You have to learn to live with Norton (or you will be missing out a part of the Internet and the potential of your comp).
(-) You have to learn not to install WhenU, run "Document.zip .pif" and better not use MSIE/Outlook.

By choosing the latter you will still have to extend your knowledge in computers but will have a faster machine for free as well.

The point of this was that even a working player+filter can be made to crash if there's a lot of other conflicting software.

Edit: Cassius Clay, try to remember what applications you installed prior to when this problem first appeared. They shouldn't necessarily be spyware. To identify the cause I would run TaskInfo2000 and examine what modules have been loaded with BSPlayer and see if any of them belongs to let's say Nero, antivirus, QuickTime – anything foreign.

Tags
computer, freeze, player