Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12th June 2006
BS.Player Power User

grendizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I'm the one. I wanted to support the Webteh team by paying for the V2 Pro version, therefore, I do not leak or crack anything.

Now I'm happy with my BsPlayer Pro V2 license, but, I want to tell the BsPlayer team they choose some bad strategies.
- Adware in free version: this is bad for the user base, and the user base is important. It's also bad for Webteh's reputation.
- People who paid for BsPlayer, any version, should get a one year upgrade ability, even if now it's version 2.

If I didn't decide to get a Pro V2 license, I think I would have stopped using BsPlayer, since I dislike adwares (v1.4x) and I do not want to stay with a software that does not evolve (versions before 1.4x).
I bought v2 because it has DVD playback, but mostly because I wanted to support your work.

I know it must cost a lot of money and time to maintain developement of bsPlayer, but I am sure there are different strategies you can think of.
There is a lot of bad blood on the forums now and those who are statisfied with the program are less visible. I am one of those, I used your software for a long time and I want its development to go on.
But if the user base goes down I'm afraid of what will happen.

Greetings
Old 12th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Tricky2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
I made them notice also the fact that there are customers that bought BSplayer Pro v1 just few weeks before v2 had been released, so they WILL NOT AND MUST NOT pay for a v2 upgrade (and in my opinion also AT LEAST one year old Pro users should be able to upgrade to v2 without additional costs..)
Bought mine April 2005. That would rule me out.
Old 12th June 2006
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Don't fabulate any more, wait for an official position. It's better to blame (or not) on them than to make ilussions on what one may think it will be good. No offence, Tizio, but in this case is better to don't give hope to the users. Let the team decide and make an anouncement.
It's their job and responsability. At least now they must get on the forum and talk to the people, get them the support that missed here from years now.
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of BSplayer and I like to be helpfull, but now is their turn.
Today, when v2 pro get out from the leash, we did get 10 times more reports about bugs and so, than in the last 10 days. Does this mean something to them ? I think that today they must make a move to decide.

LE: I also live in an eastern european country. I can understand better some of their judgements.
Old 12th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Corona Extra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
Don't fabulate any more, wait for an official position.
I think Mat2000 made the official position very clear in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat2000
We will offer every registered user of BSplayer 1.x to upgrade for 19,99€ per licence. We are working on that. Please wait few more days.

Take care.
Old 12th June 2006
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

I was talking about other fabulations. Be sure I read more than 90 % of this forum posts.
Old 12th June 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oops, I forgot v1 Pro userss... You are absolutely right!
They should still provide v1 Pro download links to the ones that bought v1!!
I quite agree!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Newbie

mjolnir13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgrade???

After the fiasco with the last version (1.82) where the volume slides, etc., "disappeared" I found an older version that works just fine for my uses.

I just found out about this new version and unless there are some really MAJOR improvements, i have no intention of gettting it....
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Upgrade???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir13
After the fiasco with the last version (1.82) where the volume slides, etc., "disappeared" I found an older version that works just fine for my uses.

I just found out about this new version and unless there are some really MAJOR improvements, i have no intention of gettting it....
1.82 :?:
Have you now installed v1.37?
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Newbie

mjolnir13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:

1.82 :?:
Have you now installed v1.37?
Yes. I found a copy by googling -- I used to keep copies of the installers but always discarded the old one when a new version came along. Did the same with the 1.82 and was very sorry. I can no longer find a Pro version (which I paid for).
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
I used to keep copies of the installers but always discarded the old one when a new version came along. Did the same with the 1.82 and was very sorry. I can no longer find a Pro version (which I paid for).
Quote:
Originally Posted by I earlier
Quote:
Oops, I forgot v1 Pro userss... You are absolutely right!
They should still provide v1 Pro download links to the ones that bought v1!!
I quite agree!
As you can see we hope (and expect) that BSPlayer-team will also make the last 1.x Pro-version available from their website again (in extended support of their customers which earlier bought a 1.x Pro version from them). I think this is rather customary done by the better software houses. A good place at the website could e.g. be the former page for pro-users (as earlier communicated): http://www.bsplayer.com/index.php?p=userpagep (In this connection a new dedicated page for 2.0 version updates/upgrades would be appropriate).
Of course there would and should remain a difference between a free update (e.g. within version 1.x) and an upgrade (from a version 1.x to a new version, like 2.x), at a certain (reduced) price for existing users.
By the way you didn't really have to google for 1.37 as you could also have easily found it right here in this forum. E.g. also in the second part of my Help2Help-post (a.k.a. "READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING") under MISCELLANEOUS item (a). (Just click on the line "in fact at this last site you can download lots of versions of BSPlayer" of that post).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 13th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Of course there would and should remain a difference between a free update (e.g. within version 1.x) and an upgrade (from a version 1.x to a new version, like 2.x), at a certain (reduced) price for existing users.
As stated before: when the current 1.x pro users registered their player, there was no mention of a "Free one year subscription". The only thing mentioned was: a one time payment of...
So, why would and should existing users pay again?
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona Extra
As stated before: when the current 1.x pro users registered their player, there was no mention of a "Free one year subscription". The only thing mentioned was: a one time payment of...
So, why would and should existing users pay again?
In fact you more of less already answered your question yourselves: it is quite common, that users need not pay for updates of the same version (i.e. 1.x pro), so that is a one time payment for the version that you purchased. However, on the other hand, it is also quite common that there is a payment required for an upgrade to a new version of software (i.e. for BSPlayer Pro version 2.x pro).
(To avoid this kind of discussion, sometimes software developpers resort to simply giving the new version a different name (like e.g. Super Pro plus extra); not so BSPlayer-team!) That being said, I emphasize, that I do expect BSPlayer-team to continue (limited) support for their existing user-base of version 1.0 purchasers and such for a reasonable lenght of time (e.g. for situations caused by harddisk-crashes and such).

(I've personally never seen any software that you buy, which grants you a lifetime of free updates and upgrades; now have you?)
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
(I've personally never seen any software that you buy, which grants you a lifetime of free updates and upgrades; now have you?)
No, none, but maybe at least last year (or only 2006) Pro users should receive a free upgrade to v2... This is only my opinion.. :roll:
Old 13th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
After the fiasco with the last version (1.82) where the volume slides, etc., "disappeared" ....
Just for the record: you mean version 1.41 build 832 of 25 March 2006?
Old 14th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

BSPeter, how nice of you to quote my message in your post :o But that didn't really answer my question, now did it?

I'll wait for the bsplayer team to update the homepage with information for existing pro users.
Old 14th June 2006
BS.player Regular User

Tricky2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
No, none, but maybe at least last year (or only 2006) Pro users should receive a free upgrade to v2... This is only my opinion.. :roll:
Hate to be a smart arse, but

http://www.xyplorer.com/register.htm

Old 14th June 2006
BS.Player Newbie

roberthr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky2005
Quote:
Quote:
Hate to be a smart arse, but

http://www.xyplorer.com/register.htm

My experience is that some SW has lifetime licence (eg. TotalCommander) and some offers upgrade with every new major version. But those have option if you buy old version few months before new one came out, you have free upgrade.
Old 14th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthr
But those have option if you buy old version few months before new one came out, you have free upgrade.
And this is in my opinion what BSplayer team members should do :?
Old 14th June 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthr
But those have option if you buy old version few months before new one came out, you have free upgrade.
And this is in my opinion what BSplayer team members should do :?
I also agree to this principle, but we should leave it to Webteh to decide on the exact period of time and when (under which circumstances) to perhaps show some extra leniency. In the end it's their commercial decision.
Old 15th June 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Psycho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pls Do Not Get BS Pro 2!

The sayin 'New is not alwaz betta'..is Damn Right! Do not get BS Pro 2! Stick to your old 1! It's not worth gettin it! It doesn't work as well & clean as e old version even though there r tons of new stuff (which r not useful to me) eg. playlist, radio etc. When i messed ard with the radio, an Error msg appeared & i had to restart my PC coz i couldn't close e error msg! It clashes easily & when u wanna view ur video in full screen, u can only access the toolbar at the bottom & not on the top! (our gd old Ver 1 has it both ways!) This is bad for ppl who watches a lot of stuff with subtitles! The toolbar which can only appear at the bottom totally disrupts e show as it's blockin the subtitles! I wanted the old version back & I had to uninstall Version 2 & reinstall Version 1 again! Trust me!!! Stick to your gd old BS Pro Ver. 1.41!

Tags
upgrade